No Siren

I connected the siren that came with the Elk M1g to the M1 panel at both out 1 and out 2. I then triggered the alarm and I got the alarm from the keypad but not the Elk-73 siren. Any help would be appreciated.

The ELK-73 is a speaker not a siren. It is used for indoor use on output 1. Try hooking up a speaker to output 2 with output 2 set to siren or hookup a siren to output 2 with output 2 set to voltage.

Thank you for the response. I should prabably be more clear. I have it hooke to the out 1 and out 2 to the panel not thr keypad. Is this not correct?

providince said:
Thank you for the response. I should prabably be more clear. I have it hooke to the out 1 and out 2 to the panel not thr keypad. Is this not correct?
One thing cannot be hooked to two different outputs. The Elk-73 should be on output 1.

It was not hooked at the same time. It was hooked first to out 1. (not output but out 1) and failed the test. The retested with out 2.

Not knowing what you may have programmed in the M1, I suggest you default the control using keypad, installer menu, 07-Globals, 45, 99. Connect a speaker to Output 1, press the F1 key on a keypad and the fire alarm should activate with voice and alarm on output 1 and siren only on output 2 if a speaker is connected there.

If that does not work, disconnect the speaker from the M1 and measure the resistance on the speaker line. You should read about 6 ohms with a single speaker. If infinite ohms then speaker not connected, 0 ohms means a short on the speaker line.

Keep us informed!

O.K. not sure how do do prgramming with keypad as I use Elk RP. The only sound making device I have is the Elk-73. That is connected to the out 1 on the main board. there is a resistor on out 2. I hit F1 and the keypad made noise but nothing from the 73. The connection between Elk and the 73 is a good connection.

I know this will sound silly but check your wiring to the panel. I have seen more than one person wire the siren/speaker starting at the top of the connector for output one. The top 3 pins are the relay, the output 2 (two connections) and the last 2 on the bottom are output 1.

You probably checked this but I figured I would just mention it.

O.K. wired the speaker directly to out 1 and it worked like a charm. I am going back over my patch panel for the connection and retesting. It has to be a wiring issue.

problem solved. One of my wires was loose so it was getting signal sometimes but not most of the time. Tightened everything up and good to go.

Back