Now I need to get rid of my OP2, please help

I'm not a professional installer.  I'm just a guy so feel out of place here.  We built a house 14 years ago and have an OP2 with the HAI light switches.  I have had issues off and on with this system but for the most part it's been solid.  I have a few issues going on now:

My alarm company, which never really dealt with HAI, had worked with me and monitors the OP2 and security.  They will no longer since the product is discontinued.  

I have a bunch of light switches that are dead and have some old (new) stock of switches I can switch out.

The question is, with my house and room controllers, and light switches, might I do better by getting my security company's security panel and going to a wireless/app controlled light automation system (Leviton comes to mind of course)?  What do I do with the home/room controller boxes?  Tough to patch venetian plaster  and match if after that many years.  The security company is coming out to discuss next week but I wanted anyone to give a little advice here if possible.  I never was able to control the OP2 by my phone which was frustrating.  I am choosing to move on sooner rather than later as I travel and can't leave my family without security.  Thanks in advance. 

My alarm company, which never really dealt with HAI, had worked with me and monitors the OP2 and security.  They will no longer since the product is discontinued.

Change security monitoring companies. Search the forum for most popular used with OmniPro or Elk panels today.

The question is, with my house and room controllers, and light switches, might I do better by getting my security company's security panel and going to a wireless/app controlled light automation system (Leviton comes to mind of course)?

no

I've been using OmniPro panels since the early 2000's.  There are built to last forever. 

What kind of switches are now "dead"?  They are easy to replace.

I have ZWave, Zigbee and X10 connected to my OmniPro 2 panel.  All my automated wall switches are UPB (SA, PCS and HAI) and none have failed me in the last + 20 years.

I have never had a UPB switch fail on me. (PCS, SA or HAI).

Look here on the forum for support ===>

hxxp://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/31445-haileviton-programmingsetup/#entry264781

Thank you Pete.  I don't have much in the way of local support from monitoring companies but I can look.  Yeah, I have several HAI switches that you really have to jam hard to get to turn on or off like something wears out.  Maybe I just don't like having outdated obsolete products hanging around? 

If you are looking for a monitoring company to call the police or fire dept, they can do that from anywhere in the country.   Many of the big security companies use national call centers.   However, if you want a private security guard to come and check out your house, you will have to hire local.

Maybe I just don't like having outdated obsolete products hanging around?

Yup here I still like powerline over wireless and or wireless hybrids and I see my UPB switches lasting more than me. 

I did migrate to all SA switches over the last few years here and never did utilize the propietary HAI HLC format.

UPB is not obsolete yet and it is the best in powerline technology today. 

That said I am tinkering these days with WiFi switches using MQTT and propietary firmware. 

The WiFi devices are little computers that can be programed just about anyway you want and included are autonomous scheduling, et al. You cannot do this with an Insteon, ZWave or Zigbee switch today.

IE: today the firmware allows software automation control and direct Alexa access et al.  (that and not too much of a cloud person).

rockinarmadillo said:
If you are looking for a monitoring company to call the police or fire dept, they can do that from anywhere in the country.   Many of the big security companies use national call centers.   However, if you want a private security guard to come and check out your house, you will have to hire local.

Well I realize that, but who am I supposed to call to come replace faulty door or window sensors?  Or add more zones?  Or upgrage features?  There are things I just can't do as I'm better off working and paying someone to do it.   I live in upstate NY and can't find anyone who will do this that really knows what they're doing.  The only electrician I knew who did it left a few years back.  He had installed a number of OP systems up here, including his house. 

Many or most folks here on the Cocoontech forum are Elk / HAI DIYers.  There are also alarm / security folks here.   

Mostly too the ELK / HAI DIYers are familiar with doing basic electricity for switch implementation which is related to the automation pieces of the Elk / HAI panels. 

It is a sub specialty trade thing combining low voltage / high voltage automation / security to the Elk / HAI alarm combo panels which is totally different than just a low voltage alarm panel knowledgebase which used wires to sensors.  Today mostly its all wireless security sensors with batteries.

Ask for support here to your geo region or go with your new plan suggested by your current security company and manually pair it with your automation.

Many ISPs now offer combination security / automation plans by the month with support of the software and hardware.  

Back