Help with dismantling OP2 and switches

We have a house we built now on year 18. Omni Pro II and all the OP switches and room controllers. To avoid details I'm just basically sick of it all and the failing switches and software interface etc. I have a simple (or NOT so simple) question.

Is it possible for me to remove my switches (about 30 of them) and replace them with newer technology like Decora and use an app THEN remove the OP2 system and have it updated by our security company? They have supported our OP2 in the past, but the tech who did is since retired and they're not keen on using my software. Can't disagree it's been glitchy. Is my approach fraught with some hidden dangers? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum @Laminarman.

Is it possible for me to remove my switches (about 30 of them) and replace them with newer technology like Decora and use an app THEN remove the OP2 system and have it updated by our security company?

Guessing (correct me if I am wrong) - you are writing about HAI HLC button switches eh? Decora is just a style of switch. You can replace the HAI switches with PCS UPB switches which are still sold today and will work with your OmniPro 2. OR you can replace them with ZWave or Zigbee switches (Decora style).

Leaving the existing OmniPro 2 panel and upgrading the switches to a different technology would be the most cost effective methodology.

Here in home two did go with wireless automation technology and wireless security starting from scratch and it worked for me while leaving home number one with the existing Omni Pro 2 automation and security. It was time consuming but not as involved as running new wires for analog sensors (PIRs, contact sensors et al).

It is what you are most comfortable with.

IE: personally am leaving my OmniPro 2 panel in place until it no longer functions or I cannot use it. (> 20 years now)

I know of no other combo (security and automation) like for like panel other than an Elk M1 that could replace the OP2 system. There are many combo wireless alarm / automation systems out there. IE: Ring, XFinity, et al. These use propietary ZWave / Zigbee automation protocols.

Pete, thank you. Are the ZWave or Zigbee switches more reliable than the HAI HLC switches? Yes you are correct on that, and I bought some extras years ago and have two that are bad and out of extras and I'm just sick and tired of it. ASSUMING I move on from the OP2 since I have no support locally (I'm just a dude who doesn't do this for a living) how do I go about converting to something like a Caseta system? My question really is, if I just start replacing switches and not use the OP2 to control them, will my panel blow up or something, and do I need to clear out all my automation from PC Access first? I want to simplify and for me that seems to mean my vendors security system that will be reliable, and an app the entire family can use to turn lights on/off and program. I have been pretty much given the red line in the sand, "We are too busy to service anything but our own panels..." And we have all but two vendors near us. Thanks again.

In follow up to that Pete, our company also does home automation with their system but I really don't want to be tied to that proprietary system and the cost is not worth it after looking at what they offer.

HAI HLC switches are just HAI propietary UPB switches. Early generations used push buttons. You could program them with HAI Keypads and serial Omnitouch and first generation network OmniTouch screens. You can today configure PCS UPB switches with the ability to emulate HLC switches.

HAI Lighting Control (HLC) Format

HAI Lighting Control (HLC) combines HAI UPB™ Wall Switches, Dimmers, and Modules, HAI UPB™ Room Controllers, and HAI UPB™ House Controllers to create lighting scenes that set the proper mood and ambiance for various activities. HLC format is a defined structure for configuring, programming, and operating all the HLC lighting devices in your home. Each “House Code” that is configured to use the HLC format consists of 2 rooms with up to 8 HLC devices in each room. OmniPro II supports up to 31 rooms of HLC lighting. OmniPro II can control up to 248 HLC devices. HAI manufactured UPB™ devices (collectively referred to as HLC devices) can be configured using an Omni console or OmniTouch touchscreen connected to the OmniPro II controller. Other UPB™ devices may be used in the HLC structure, but cannot be configured using the OmniPro II controller; they must be configured using a PC running the UPB™ UPStart configuration software – see Configuring HLC Devices.

Here originally went to X10, then Insteon using X10 control then UPB. Initially used HAI UPB, PCS UPB and SA UPB switches (mixed). Then settled on SA UPB switches. Concurrently installed a VRCOP (ZWave) and ZIM (Zigbee) and a dual phased TW583 emulator (JV Engineering).
Tested early ZWave and Zigbee and preferred UPB switches. The OmniPro panel also can control Centralite and Lutron RadioRA lighting.

Lutron Caseta does not use Z-Wave or ZigBee, but instead uses their own patented, proprietary wireless protocol which they call Clear Connect. Clear connect creates a mesh network, which connects to a hub. The hub then connects the network to your home network through an ethernet cable.

My question really is, if I just start replacing switches and not use the OP2 to control them, will my panel blow up or something, and do I need to clear out all my automation from PC Access first?

No. Your panel will only control what PIMs are connected to it. (serial X10, UPB, ZWave or Zigbee). You want to replace the HLC switches going baby steps...ZWave or Zigbee will work and you will be able to continue to use your HAI combo panel and entertain software to manage your lightning, security et al ....baby steps...

My children (both doing IT today) are tethered to their phones and use their phones today to manage their wireless automation. They would not even entertain using proprietary automation software. For a bit a few years back tested the Securifi products which integrated Zigbee-ZWave and did wireless security. Worked for me. Ring uses propietary ZWave and it works fine. There are many more products out there today.

As mentioned earlier did a sandbox installation in house two using wireless. Ring Alarm and Tasmota firmware (cloudless) switches and tied the two together with Home Assistant.

Many Cocoontech HAI OP2 users continue to use their Omni Panels and some have switched over to Elk combo panels.

Last edited:
Here is a Ring Alarm view via Home Assistant of sandbox house. All cloud connected wireless sensors. I use Tasmota firmware wall light switches and outlet modules and Tasmota temperature / humidity sensors here. The OmniPro alarm view is identical except for using wired sensors and wired thermostat. The light switch view / thermostat is identical whatever device or protocal is utilized.

1703261706174.jpeg

If I were to wire in ZWave switches, would I still configure through PC Access and manage that way as I had with HAI/HLC?

You could control the Z-Wave switches with a Leviton VRCOP connected to your OmniPro panel. You can configure the connection to the panel with PC Access and the VRCOP configuration remote Leviton VRCPG. Different than using PCAccess / keyboard / Omnitouch screens to program HLC switches. Way back using a Homeseer ZWave controller I was able to replicate the ZWave configuration from the VRCOP to the Homeseer ZWave controller.

Thinking @ano went from UPB to Zigbee in wall switches with his OmniPro panel.

It is if you want to manage the switches with the Leviton HAI OmniPro panel.

The above said if you want to manage new ZWave switches right away you can do this with Homeseer with a ZWave controller or Home Assistant with a ZWave controller. There is more automation software that will do that.

I have been able to copy the ZWave configuration from a Homeseer ZWave controller to the VRCOP.

As mentioned earlier you can control your HLC UPB switches via UPB configuration in the OmniPro 2. You can then update the faulty switches with either new or used UPB switches.

Start by installing Upstart on a Windows PC connected to a UPB PIM and scan the network for all of your UPB switches.

There is a new combo security automation (with ZWave) device offered by Elk. I am not sure on the price.

You could utilize your existing hardware wiring and install ZWave with it.

E27 Alarm Engine

ElkConnect

ElkConnect® brings the power of the platform to life. This advanced app and cloud portal streamlines system configuration, management, and control with powerful tools and a consistent user experience. A robust automation environment fuels the Alarm Engine with simplified customization and unrestricted creation of rules.

Both the ElkConnect app and portal provide a credential based experience. Installers get configuration and management tools. Users get interactive services* and an intuitive interface for full control of the system.

Back