Nutone Knock video doorbell

jon102034050 said:
Looks like a very nice solution mike.  thanks for posting.

Thanks, I like the PVC plastic because I didn't have to paint it and it was freezing out when I installed it and latex paint would have frozen before it dried. The material was left over from a repair I did on my shed. PVC is great to replace soft wood in places that are very damp. I used it to replace a rotten fascia board.

I think that it is a compromise and looked better without the added base but it made lots of room for the splices and gave the cam a lot wider view. In the end it was all for nothing because Nutone has not answered my last two emails and I've spent too much time on this project already. This is the second Knock that has died here in a month or two so I think that I'm just about to throw it in the garbage and put the mechanical doorbell switch back. I was OK with being their test bed for a while but it's getting old.

Mike.

FWIW, I went on the search for something LIKE ring, but better... what I settled on for the time being is Doorbird.  One of my clients just installed theirs yesterday - I'll be making a trip out in the next week or two to configure it for him.  They support recording to your own NVR, but also have the ring-like app to answer the door, view the video, and talk to the person... and they have solutions to send network/power over 2 wires; they have remote IP based chimes, they can work with existing doorbells, door releases, etc.

I'm in between home ownership right now - once I buy something, I plan to try one at my own home too.

Work2Play said:
FWIW, I went on the search for something LIKE ring, but better... what I settled on for the time being is Doorbird.  One of my clients just installed theirs yesterday - I'll be making a trip out in the next week or two to configure it for him.  They support recording to your own NVR, but also have the ring-like app to answer the door, view the video, and talk to the person... and they have solutions to send network/power over 2 wires; they have remote IP based chimes, they can work with existing doorbells, door releases, etc.

I'm in between home ownership right now - once I buy something, I plan to try one at my own home too.

Thanks, I'll give the doorbird a look.

Mike.

There are some interesting reviews of the Doorbird at Amazon and what struck me most is that the motion detector has no sensitivity setting or detection area masking and that there was a significant lag time between when the button is pressed and you get an alert. One user claimed that it took 20 seconds to get the alert, open the app and respond to the alert. 

Where did the Ring doorbell fall short for you? It seems to have similar capabilities to the Doorbird. The API interface is the only thing that I see at this point and I don't know if the Ring has an API or not. One thing that I like about the Ring is that it is proven by the number of them installed and working at this point.

Mike.

Not the OP, but my biggest complaint with the Ring is that you can't record locally. I don't want my video in the cloud, and I don't want to waste bandwidth transferring it there.  I want to have a single NVR screen that shows my cameras and the doorbell cam all on one screen.

Good to know, my Nutone Knock did not record locally either. I'd like to be able to view the doorbell cam with the sam app that I use for the rest of my cams and many doorbells don't allow for it.

So after a lot of thought, about one month and about a  hundred dollars I found the solution to my doorbell problems.

Back