Nuvo LSA40 Local Source Amp

Just re-read your post, sorry. Is the LSA40 plugged into the same outlet as the Nuvo controller/amp?

The conductors you use within the category cable may make a difference, I think, since the conductors aren't all the same length, and the twists may cause issues. Passive baluns may be an option, to use that category cable for the audio run from the TV to the LSA40.

Thanks, but after some research it looks like the samsung tvs have fixed analog and digital audio out, so I may have to look at some sort of preamp with IR control to go behind the tv... the current location of the tv makes switching tvs impossible due to size of space (otherwise I'd look at sony since they have fixed/variable out)
I've found that most TV's line out is fixed as it is designed to plug into a stereo amp/receiver with its own volume control. When I looked, LG was the only player that had variable line out.

Does your TV have a headphone jack? The headphone jack will be controllable via the TV/Remote and will work almost as well as the line out. I've got several hooked up that way and they work fine.

I recently installed an LSA40 to power the audio from a TV on a screened porch. I used CAT6 to carry the line level audio from the TV (RCA L and R out) to the LSA40 which I mounted in the same cabinet with the NUVO Essentia. The run of CAT6 is approx. 50 feet. The 16/4 speaker cable link between the LSA40 and the NUVO was then only about 1 foot. The trigger between the NUVO control pad on the porch and the LSA40 was over CAT5 and about 40 feet. I have a faint but audible 50 or 60Hz hum when the tv is off and the NUVO control pad on the porch is off. Any thoughts on what might be to culprit? I soldered on the RCA connectors (for the TV end) and the 3 conductor 1/8" mini plug (for the LSA40 end) onto the run of CAT6 that connects the TV to the LSA40. Is there some grounding issue I may be overlooking?
I think you are on the right track with grounding issue. They can present in many different ways. It could also be a ground loop which will often present as a hum or whine. Ground loops are a royal PITA to track down and eliminate and sometimes its not even worth the effort. You can Google ground loops to read all about them and troubleshooting, or you can try a Ground Loop Isolator and see if it eliminates the problem. If the GLI fixes the problem you can choose to just leave it and move on or you can try to figure out the cause and eliminate it.

Back