Nuvo with no keypads - Controling via ipad/android - alternative to music port

personalt

I have a  NUVO Essentia NV-E6DMS.  This is one of the 'original' nuvo's that have the dumb keypads without screens so I never installed the keypads.   I would like to control the nuvo zones via ipad or android device and stream internet radio and mp3s.  I think I can do this if I add a music port.  Is there a better/cheaper solution?    In the past I was using CQC to so  I know the sending commands via the the serial port works just fine.

Wish list
1)Allow music selection  via ipad  & andriod including streaming radio and mp3s off internal storage or network share.
2)Allow  me to pick nuvo zones to stream to, turn them on/off and adjust volume on those nuvo zones.

Control can probably be done with iRule or another control app to issue RS232 commands via a Global Cache IP2SL  I don't recall if the E6 used the same RS232 command set (as the later Essentia and Concerto "G" series), so it may take some work.  But if you're familiar with the command set, crafting up pages/buttons for a iRule solution wouldn't be too bad.  

I don't believe MusicPort will help you, since it requires the "G" series NuVoNet.  

A Sonos Connect as a source would be a good way to get the streaming support, you'll just have to swap apps to do the control.

jautor said:
Control can probably be done with iRule or another control app to issue RS232 commands via a Global Cache IP2SL  I don't recall if the E6 used the same RS232 command set (as the later Essentia and Concerto "G" series), so it may take some work.  But if you're familiar with the command set, crafting up pages/buttons for a iRule solution wouldn't be too bad.  

I don't believe MusicPort will help you, since it requires the "G" series NuVoNet.  

A Sonos Connect as a source would be a good way to get the streaming support, you'll just have to swap apps to do the control.

thanks for the info... 

E6D does have the same RS232 command set as I have used it with CQC. 
I saw that the music port has both a RS232 and nuvonet connection.  Do you know what the nuvonet connection does? I assumed it was needed to pass metadata to keypads.  I was thiking maybe the RS232 is what is used to turn on zones and adjust volume.  

I was thinking about  sonos  but i hate the idea of 1 app to turn on nuvo and then another to select zones and sources.    If I went sonos I may just get the model withe amp for outside and just get some regular sonos speakers for other channels. 

If there anyone else that can act as a music server and control the nuvo zones?

personalt said:
6D does have the same RS232 command set as I have used it with CQC. 
I saw that the music port has both a RS232 and nuvonet connection.  Do you know what the nuvonet connection does? I assumed it was needed to pass metadata to keypads.  I was thiking maybe the RS232 is what is used to turn on zones and adjust volume.  

I was thinking about  sonos  but i hate the idea of 1 app to turn on nuvo and then another to select zones and sources.    If I went sonos I may just get the model withe amp for outside and just get some regular sonos speakers for other channels. 

If there anyone else that can act as a music server and control the nuvo zones?

The NuVoNet connection is the bus between all sources, keypads and the system and is used for control of the sources from the keypads, and in the "G" series, sending metadata to the keypad displays.  The RS232 is more general control of the system - you can do everything over RS232 except for "act like a source device".  So yes, you can turn zones on/off and adjust volume over RS232.

There's not much gain to be had on a non-"G" system to using the MPS4.  You'll be in for less money by adding a Sonos Connect to your system instead.  

Did you at least wire for keypads? 

I wired for keypads but then put in  russound intercom using those wires..    I totally messed up when no running 2 cat-5s to the keypad locations.  my plan the morphed in to using CQC.

I was thinking about sonos connect but the need two different steps to fire up the nuvo and pick stations.   and I would have two separate volume controls..  I guess I could put nuvo on 3/4 and then adjust the volume via sonos?

personalt said:
I was thinking about sonos connect but the need two different steps to fire up the nuvo and pick stations.   and I would have two separate volume controls..  I guess I could put nuvo on 3/4 and then adjust the volume via sonos?

You can set the line level output on the Sonos to "Fixed" so at least you only have one volume control

Back