Ocelot & Channel Vision IR3002 IR flashers

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the Channel Vision IR-3002 emitters are compatible with the Ocelot? I want to start controlling my TV based on certain events, and I happen to have a set of these in my goodie bag. Can I just cut the wire, and run this over a cat5 (using 1 pair) ? Thanks!

A cleaner way to run those IR emitters is to use the CAT5 in the wall, but terminate them using a mini-jack port. The IR emitter just plugs into the port in the wall (looks nicer than wires just sticking out of the wall). You use the Leviton QuickPort frames, drill a hole in a blank and stick the jack through the hole. Looks very nice when done... and works very well.

I used a single CAT5 cable to each TV - and used these mini-port jacks in both directions (my IR Receivers and emitters both plug in).

I bought my mini-jacks here: (at the bottom of the page)
http://www.hometech.com/techwire/inserts.html#161-3502

that's pretty much how it is, I have a cat5 drop going from a punchdown block in my wiring closet to a cat5 jack in my leviton wall plate. There I just ran a cat5 wire from the wall to another punchdown block behind the TV, as I also use a pair for my HA speakers, so it was pretty easy to run. I connected a female mini-jack to my punchdown block, and just plugged in my IR emitters. Works great!

bfisher said:
A cleaner way to run those IR emitters is to use the CAT5 in the wall, but terminate them using a mini-jack port. The IR emitter just plugs into the port in the wall (looks nicer than wires just sticking out of the wall). You use the Leviton QuickPort frames, drill a hole in a blank and stick the jack through the hole. Looks very nice when done... and works very well.

I used a single CAT5 cable to each TV - and used these mini-port jacks in both directions (my IR Receivers and emitters both plug in).

I bought my mini-jacks here: (at the bottom of the page)
http://www.hometech.com/techwire/inserts.html#161-3502
This is a good suggestion (and something to remember in general). I use blank keystone inserts with different jacks mounted to them for many different things (mono and stereo 1/8" jacks, RCA jacks, etc.). They do make installations look much cleaner. You can mix these with standard RJ11, RJ12, and RJ45 keystone jacks in the same plates.

I'm using this approach to distribute multiple IR zones. The zones are carried in a single cat5 cable. But at each location, it's broken out to 1/8" stereo jacks to connect to the IR hardware (I'm running signal, power, and ground from a central location).

So let me see if I understand this. You will connect 2 wires from a cat5 cable to the Ocelot with a home made connector. These 2 wire are in-turn wired at the other end to a female receiver that the flasher can plug into. Right? How far can you run IR link this? I thought it had to be amplified?

Rupp said:
So let me see if I understand this. You will connect 2 wires from a cat5 cable to the Ocelot with a home made connector. These 2 wire are in-turn wired at the other end to a female receiver that the flasher can plug into. Right? How far can you run IR link this? I thought it had to be amplified?
Actually - it's 3 wires for receivers, and 2 wires for emmitters. The receivers (at least the Xantech ones I'm using) need power too.

Receivers: Signal, ground, +12V
Emmitters: signal, ground

I ran mine at least 150 feet (longest run) without any issues.

Back