Odd/New Keypad Behavior

tmbrown97

OK Guys - I got an interesting one for ya...

I haven't personally had this happen to me yet - but twice now it's happened to my wife, which she's definitely not fond of...

I guess at least twice now when she's come in the door, while the exit timer was running, when she went to enter her code, the keypad seemingly lost power or something, and reset - when it came back, the screen said something along the lines of "exit when done/F1 set addr" - leaving her to set the car seat down in a hurry and run to another keypad - since I have a pretty short entry timer set.

Nothing's changed on my system since about October, unfortunately... no new load, changes, programming, anything... Load is simple - 3 kp2 keypads, 4 motions, 1 glass-break, 16-zone input, M1XOVR, M1RB, M1DBH, ethernet, 3 serial expanders, and an Elk124 voice module.

Could this just be something as stupid and simple as a loose connection on the keypad or in the wiring, or does that sound like anything else? It seems to only be the 1 keypad we use 90% of the time, of course...

Any ideas?

OK Guys - I got an interesting one for ya...

I haven't personally had this happen to me yet - but twice now it's happened to my wife, which she's definitely not fond of...

I guess at least twice now when she's come in the door, while the exit timer was running, when she went to enter her code, the keypad seemingly lost power or something, and reset - when it came back, the screen said something along the lines of "exit when done/F1 set addr" - leaving her to set the car seat down in a hurry and run to another keypad - since I have a pretty short entry timer set.

Nothing's changed on my system since about October, unfortunately... no new load, changes, programming, anything... Load is simple - 3 kp2 keypads, 4 motions, 1 glass-break, 16-zone input, M1XOVR, M1RB, M1DBH, ethernet, 3 serial expanders, and an Elk124 voice module.

Could this just be something as stupid and simple as a loose connection on the keypad or in the wiring, or does that sound like anything else? It seems to only be the 1 keypad we use 90% of the time, of course...

Any ideas?

I have seen this with other mfg keypads from static electricity. I personally tested for this about 4 years ago with the original Elk keypad and nothing happened and the design has not changed that I know of. Looking at the design of the KP2 I would be very shocked (pun intended) if there was a path for a static discharge to cause this. The nylon membrane for the keys really isolates the circuit.

Slight possibility that you have a bad connection and when your wife presses any key (the infamous "any" key) the power is disrupted. I just opened up a KP2 and was checking it out and found one of the leads of the harness was not seated properly in the connector shell. Cant hurt to check things out.

Maybe Spanky can chime in tomorrow.

The screen you are seeing is the setup program screen which is accessed by holding * and F5. As Digger stated, the only thing that could knock the keypad processor out of normal running mode is a static zap of several tens of thousands of volts.

The screen you are seeing is the setup program screen which is accessed by holding * and F5. As Digger stated, the only thing that could knock the keypad processor out of normal running mode is a static zap of several tens of thousands of volts.

I think I stopped at 20Kv. Thats as high as the static gun would go at the time.

There should be a light switch by the door. See if you wife would touch the cover plate screw to discharge herself before disarming the panel. It might stop the problem. Static can build up from the coat she is wearing rubbing on the car seat etc.

Just an idea.

I have had this happen to me once where it rebooted while entering my code, I tired to narrow it down but could not. I first thought it was a low level static discharge but with all that keypad material I doubt this was my problem. And working in an EMC lab, I know what the high level 10, 20 kV static feels like ( and I did not feel it)...... never, never trust a guy smiling while holding the ESD simulator ;)

I am guessing more of a loose connection but have not checked my terminals yet.

We looked into what would cause the keypad to go to the setup program screen. Here is what we concluded:

The software in the keypad is setup to quickly go to the setup screen by holding down any key and powering up the keypad in addition to the * and F5 key hold down.

Check these things:
1. Check the power wiring going to the keypad to make sure that pressing or touching the keypad does not cause a momentary break in a wire connection. A break in power while holding a key down will cause the keypad to go to the setup screen.

2. Check the voltage at the keypad. Pressing a key causes the keypad backlight to turn on, drawing more power and this can cause the keypad internal voltage to drop below the reset threshold. If the voltage drops below the reset threshold, the keypad will reset and if a key is being pressed, the setup screen will be displayed. You should measure 12 volts or more at the keypad power input wires. The reset threshold is around 9.5 volts. If using CAT 5 wire to the keypad, consider doubling up the conductors on the power leads.

Thx for the tips guys - I'll have to take a look behind the keypad tomorrow to see if everything is tight.

I did use Cat5 to wire the keypads... and they're recessed, with SP12's behind them (running on their own pair of 18/2) - so it sounds like either Spanky is onto something with the voltage drop, or it's a loose connection. I'll tighten everything up and see if it happens again (it's only happened twice now, but both within the last 2 weeks).

I have had this happen probably about 5 times since I installed my system in October. I believe that it is static electricity as I get a shock sometimes when I touch the decorative metal band on the KP1

I also sometimes experience this issue when disarming my system using a KP1. While entering the disarm code, the kepyad flashes and appears to reset. I am able to disarm the system once it comes back to life. I don't ever recall feeling a shock or static discharge though.

I also have arrived at they keypad and seen a firmware version being displayed. I am not sure what causes this, but it appears to reset quickly after that.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Back