OmniTouch 7 vs Space

rsw686

I haven't personally used an OmniTouch 7 so it is hard for me to compare with Space. Additionally I've read some posts over the bugs it has. However I like the fact it is hardwired and has the system status indicator. I was hoping somebody that has one could provide some insight in how it compares with Space.

Space isn't very near the "cool" factor that the bug ridden OT7 is, so comparison is hard to offer.

You'll want to use a PoE switch to run the OT7 as it may be too painful to keep pulling it out of the wall to reset.  PoE means you can cut the power remotely and recover the device to operational status.  The interface for OT7 is not very fluid.  It's cute, but lacks some ease of use ergonomics.  The bugs are plentiful but a couple of things work well like arm/disarm and events. Space being portable device based, is limited to users with an iPad/iPhone.

• Space requires the iPhone/iPad hardware but offers portability over a wall mounted OT7 but could be wall mounted too, so double plus perhaps.  OT7 is Android-based (no access to Android components though), but is similar to Snap Link on Android but no Apple iOS version of Snap Link, so Space may fit the bill for Apple users.
  • There is NO access pin code and no screen lock, so everyone can access the OT7 which means locations for installation will be limited due to lack of security - there is no way to lock it. Technically the Apple device has a screenlock, so Space does have passcode security through that association.
  • The OT7 screens turn off and no way to keep it lit when it needs to stay lit. Apple device can be kept awake by Space, so that's good (or bad when batteries die).
  • Cannot stay connected to OT7 cameras for a long period, due to above timeout for being lit. Space does not have this issue.
  • Icons are clear and very nice contrast on the OT7 so easily readable. Space has low contrast similar-color icons (why do so many developers do this) so is harder to view/read but won't blind you if you use them in the dark. OT7 has no dimming for low light conditions.
  • OT7 intercom requires the customer have an IP-PBX available since it doesn't currently support direct SIP calls. Most customers won't have an IP-PBX available but currently intercom doesn't work well, hence the need for PoE power cuts (firmware 1.8). Leviton publishes OT7 intercom support samples for discontinued IP-PBX systems (intercom works unreliably on those too). Space doesn't have Intercom either but Apple can support a SIP-client and SIP-based intercoms, so while Space doesn't offer this, the "hardware" for Space would provide reliable intercom.
  • OT7 only supports MJPEG cameras but no modern H.264 cameras but OT7 intercom only supports H.264 and not MJPEG - strange.  Space supports other protocols, so can interface with more cameras than OT7.  However, once Levition H.264 camera support is published (I can't imagine why they won't support H.264 someday), it may be an even playing field. 
  • Space however allows access to camera controls whereas OT7 does not.
  • You can only see 4 light controls on OT7 and scrolling may accidentally enable/disable/adjust a light but the cool looking sliders and bulb icons are easier to use, as Space has smaller controls. You can see (pardon the pun) up to 16 light controls per page on Space though, so I think this could be a nice trade off.
  • Space's developer doesn't have many products, so it is hard to say whether Space will keep up with Leviton firmware updates. Leviton is however not very quick to releases fixes or new features, so that may not be an issue. 
  • Space may also be prone to iOS update issues but only time will tell.  Reviewers have been blasting Space but that's probably due to the high price without a reliable set of current features.  Feature updates will likely overcome this objection and make it price competitive. 
  • Future Space development is well positioned to offer far more than the OT7 or Snap Link, but again, that is a time thing. Developer for Space is interested in hearing from customers and may work hard to "customize" features or take feature requests.
  • Space does have a built-in mic/speakers (technically) like the OT7 so could provide voice interaction, Siri functions, and 2-Way audio functions that don't currently exist.  The Levition 2-Way Audio Boards does not work in conjunction with the OT7, so separate speakers and mic are required (double sets you could say).
  • Space doesn't currently "beep" on events, but developer is working on that.  OT7 will "beep" for events.
  • Space will require a "server" for active notifications.  OT7 interfaces over the IP network directly to Omni so receives push notifications natively - Space does not.
There are some other differences but overall, I would say they are two different beasts.  You probably should have both and/or try some of the other "tools" that run on toys out there.  Tablets and phones are toys and are no substitute for dedicated hardware.  Imagine missing a fire alarm because your phone is snoozed or on silent, or missing a camera pop when someone breaks out the side window.  Just being able to turn on a group of lights through a dedicated touchscreen is a real plus over waiting on your phone to charge so you can "set" the group to on. 

Both - gives you the best of both worlds.  2¢

Attachments

• OT7-vs-Space.jpg
    OT7-vs-Space.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for taking the time to put that together. It sounds like most of the OT7 bugs revolve around the intercom. I think your right that having both might be the correct approach. I'm leaning towards the OT7 in the master bedroom, an iPad in the kitchen, and the standard console by the front / garage door.

We have been recommending and installing iPad minis in iPort controlmount docks for our customers. Yes, there are pros and cons to both, but I usually distill it to this: for the same money one can have a touchscreen with limited, albeit dedicated hardware, or a much prettier and more capable iPad that allows users to control HAI via Space, AND lets them check email, weather, search the web, and a thousand other things as well. The functionality is just orders of magnitude higher in an iPad, plus it looks better, and I would argue is far less flakey than the OT7. With the ever-improving Siri integration, a demo of the ability to say, "Hey Siri, what's the weather (or anything else)?" - hands-free in the room where the touchscreen is located is usually enough "wow" factor that clients opt for the iPad over the OT7.

Is Space could push status notifications and camera pops, the decision would be an utter no-brainer. Until then, the ability to have cameras pop (which the developer informs me IS possible - so I need to research this better/further) and the ability to see the red of green LED to indicate security status are really the only compelling things in favour of the OT7 right now.

Oh, and the ability to set the background wallpaper in Space (e.g., with a photo of the house, or even that specific room) is HIGHLY attractive!

Back