OpenHAB & OmniPro2 - Arm/Disarm Without Code

GadgetGuy

I've successfully installed OpenHAB on an RPi3 and have it connected to my OP2. Somehow OpenHAB is able to arm and disarm the system without asking for the security code. To my knowledge, this should not be possible with the OP2 protocol. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

p.s. I also have HA-Bridge installed and our Echo Dots can now control lights, security, buttons, etc. Works great and doesn't require a cloud-based controller like SmartThings.

GadgetGuy said:
p.s. I also have HA-Bridge installed and our Echo Dots can now control lights, security, buttons, etc. Works great and doesn't require a cloud-based controller like SmartThings.

Realizing, of course, that the Alexa units are entirely cloud-based.  So, yeah, the HA controller itself isn't but any voice interaction with it requires a live cloud connection. 

I can arm and disarm the OmniPro panel with current and past Homeseer plugin just fine here.  Probably because the access codes are configured to talk to the panel. 

The preference here has always been to utilize the Omni Keypad, Omnitouch serial screens and Omnitouch IP connected screens to disarm / arm panel.  Never will ever use any wireless tablet for control of the OmniPro 2 panel.  Looks pretty but for me it is a security concern.  Always has been like this. 

Concern has been relating to what happens if there is a software glitch.  IE: historically I had issues with the thermostat control.  Today that is working fine.  It was very low on the WAF when the software would ding the thermostat connection.  I  removed the connectivity when this occurred.

wkearney99 said:
Realizing, of course, that the Alexa units are entirely cloud-based.  So, yeah, the HA controller itself isn't but any voice interaction with it requires a live cloud connection. 
Of course I realize Alexa is cloud-based. I also knew that someone would invariably try to bring this to my attention. You win the prize. :)

My point was that my adjunct HA system (OpenHAB) does not rely on the cloud. I've experimented with SmartThings at the office (IoT and communications is my job) and it's a nice system for many people. But if you're also using it to add other capabilities to your OP2, your out of luck when your connection is down.

pete_c said:
I can arm and disarm the OmniPro panel with current and past Homeseer plugin just fine here.  Probably because the access codes are configured to talk to the panel.
It's not a question of whether or not OpenHAB can arm and disarm the OP2. It's that it can do it without knowing my codes.

GadgetGuy said:
My point was that my adjunct HA system (OpenHAB) does not rely on the cloud. I've experimented with SmartThings at the office (IoT and communications is my job) and it's a nice system for many people. But if you're also using it to add other capabilities to your OP2, your out of luck when your connection is down.

I've been using both ST and Homeseer.  Both have their advantages.  ST certainly wins a bit for having a fresher approach to building add-ons.  But HS3 is still pretty versatile.  ST has a slight advantage in the embedded device perspective.  It manages to reboot itself without intervention a bit more reliably than a PC running HS3.  I've yet to install my HS3 license on a linux box, as that might edge closer on that front.  

I keep an 'ear to the ground' on OpenHAB development but have as yet not had the time/inclination to go through the efforts to get all the pieces configured.

It's not a question of whether or not OpenHAB can arm and disarm the OP2. It's that it can do it without knowing my codes.

Yes I played with OpenHab and the OmniPro 2 and yes the software can arm and disarm the panel and yes it already knows the access codes because that is in the configuration of the software.

IE: Once you connect to the panel with:

omnilink:port=4369
omnilink:host=panel.yourdomain.com
omnilink:key1=00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:11
omnilink:key2=00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:11
omnilink:generateItems=true
It downloads the access codes and Openhab knows them to disarm and arm your panel.

The user / programmer or OpenHab would have to create a keypad screen for Openhab if that person / persons want to replicate the keypad entry. 

This is very much like the Homeseer 2 serial plugin and the Homeseer 3 IP plugin for the OmnPro 2 panel; well also any automation software that you want to interface with the OmniPro2.

The serial connectivity is different than the IP connectivity.  Serially you have to configure an access code while via IP you configure the two keys and port for access.

GadgetGuy said:
Short version to Pete's answer above is that by providing Key1/Key2, you've given OpenHAB the master keys to the system.  Thus, no user code is needed.

JonW said:
Short version to Pete's answer above is that by providing Key1/Key2, you've given OpenHAB the master keys to the system.  Thus, no user code is needed.
I understood that the keys were being provided, but I did not know that the user codes were optional. The mobile apps that I use (SnapLink, Haiku) have the keys, but also require the user code. (The user code can be saved in Haiku to bypass the keypad, but it's still sent to the system.) OpenHAB mobile does not require a code. In my opinion this is a security risk, since anyone that has access to your device can gain entry without a user code.

Back