Optex OS-12C

Sorry, I dont have a lot of experience to help, but I am interested in what you are trying to do-- because I would like to do the same thing in a couple of years when I build my next home. Here are a few questions to consider--

- are the relay response time and the relay hold time fast enough for this application? At 0.1-0.5 seconds it looks fine, but I dont have experience to tell.
- Does the M1 respond fast enough to sense the direction of travel? Remember, the M1 must poll the input often enough to determine which light beam was broken first. I suggest that you repost in the Elk forum to see if one of the experts can answer this.
- will there be any cross-interference between the two beams? The transmitter and reciever are designed for flush mount. Jon mounted his in a recessed hole. Does this make any difference?
- Will the amplifier fit into a single gang switch box? It looks close. Could you fit two in a single gang box?

- I also note that there actually are two circuits in the amplifier box. Would it be possible to convince the manufacturer to re-wire this so that they act independently? (a long shot) Could you hack it to get them to act independently-- and therefore buy only one per door?

My suggestion is to buy a couple and give it a try. Please let us know the result if you do.

Sorry, I dont have a lot of experience to help, but I am interested in what you are trying to do-- because I would like to do the same thing in a couple of years when I build my next home. Here are a few questions to consider--

- are the relay response time and the relay hold time fast enough for this application? At 0.1-0.5 seconds it looks fine, but I dont have experience to tell.
- Does the M1 respond fast enough to sense the direction of travel? Remember, the M1 must poll the input often enough to determine which light beam was broken first. I suggest that you repost in the Elk forum to see if one of the experts can answer this.
- will there be any cross-interference between the two beams? The transmitter and reciever are designed for flush mount. Jon mounted his in a recessed hole. Does this make any difference?
- Will the amplifier fit into a single gang switch box? It looks close. Could you fit two in a single gang box?

- I also note that there actually are two circuits in the amplifier box. Would it be possible to convince the manufacturer to re-wire this so that they act independently? (a long shot) Could you hack it to get them to act independently-- and therefore buy only one per door?

My suggestion is to buy a couple and give it a try. Please let us know the result if you do.

I'll be buying 2 units for testing purpose. These units are not cheap but I prefer to work with off the shelf parts. We use these in our stores (over 1000 stores in north America) as traffic counter. they are connected to an interface that provide stats to our systems.

- As for your questions:

Response time: I was told by my supplier they are about 0.2 second.

I'm not sure how responsive is the M1 but I'm starting with the assumption that it is. To be tested.

For cross interference between beams. I taught of it as well so I'm planning to put 1 LED an one receiver on each side. The IR of one should not interfere with the other.

I'm planning to fit the amplifier beside the panel. I know I need to test with long lead on the transmitter and receiver. If this fail then I'll locate them in closets close by the doors. I can test if it fit in a single gang box when I get them.

I'll see how this works first before to contact the supplier about having 2 independent contact in one box or even looking to hack one . Again I'm trying to stick with off the shelf parts so hacking it would kind of defeat the purpose.

These units are priced at $260 each (IR and controller) I'm trying to locate a supplier and find better price. I've seen the box only for about $60. but I need box and IR.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Just learned that when we close/move a store we abandon these behind.. Will try to get some reference as of when they close / move stores and will see if I can get in to take the devices..

Got an old one from a store that closed so will hopefully start some testing shortly.

First Answer : The optex controller box does not fit in a single gang box. Might fit in a dual one if the plastic is trimmed on each ends.. Not a concern for me as I'm hopping to install at my panel..

ok just installed one of the Optex OS-12C in a test door. I've set the zone to no-alarm and put a rule in the M1

Zone 008
Definition 16=Non-Alarm
Type = 1 = Normally Closed

Then I've set a rule as follow

Whenever Zone 008 become not secure
Then Toggle State of Master

The rule seem to work but for some reason it not responsive. Seem I need to cross the beam for 1 to 1.5 sec for it to trigger the rule. If a walk moderately fast into the room it does not trigger but if I go slowly it work.

In our office set-up they respond very quickly as they are used as traffic counter for our stores but they are not linked to an M1. Could it be that the M1 require a longer open contact for it to trigger?

I'm open to suggestion.

PS: I like the IR LED for the Optex as their look makes for a clean install in the door frame.

Found it after further research on the forums.

I had to set the zones for fast response

Now instant light on or off .. Optex OS-12C works as expected.

Now I need to set a second set of IR on the door frame and program some sort of people counter logic to know when to turn on or off the light.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Reverse the Xmit/Rcv on the second pair from the first, otherwise it is very likely to have phasing issues if the beams bleed into each other, depending on the spread.

Reverse the Xmit/Rcv on the second pair from the first, otherwise it is very likely to have phasing issues if the beams bleed into each other, depending on the spread.

For sure I was planning to do that.. Here's some pictures of my test install. Nothing is fully installed I'm simply testing the components.

I have the IR set on the door frame (One set on these pictures)

Then I have the IR controller box beside the panel. I've used 4/22 wires to extend the wires and the Optex controller will be installed in a 28" Elk can beside the other 28" Elk can.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108208270029972581009/albums/5771871992908611297?authkey=CNDpqubQ6_WuYA

Back