Output 2 Not Turning Off

rfdesq

I may have figured out the answer to my problem on the way home from the job site, but I won't be back for a few days to trouble shoot it. I am having a problem with Output 2 not turning off. Output 2 is set to voltage since it is connected to a siren. I am showing a near constant 13 volts from the positive side of Output 2 to the common negative terminals. I joined all my negative wires together for all my zones, sirens, strobes, etc. I am connecting the minus side of the siren wire to the common negative terminal. I think that is my problem. The minus siren wire must go to the minus siren terminal. It appears that the M1 is switching the negative side of the siren output. Can someone with an M1 on the bench confirm that? Or, Spanky, is my deduction correct? As soon as I fire up the panel, Output 2 puts out 13 volts and sets off my siren, disarming the system does nothing. Since I have the negative side of the siren wired to the common negative of the panel it is constantly on and I can't turn it off. The panel itself does not go into alarm but there is a voltage present. I didn't measure the voltage from the plus side to the minus side of the siren output because I didn't think of it until I was in the truck home. TIA.

Hi rfdesq

Dont have an M1 But what you describe is very common ....Its known as open collector ouput.....When the siren is off you would have 12v on both the siren + connection and siren - connection ....When the siren is turned on the siren - connection gets pulled to gnd .......so basically it switches the negative leg ...so you would need to connect the neg lead of the siren to the siren neg connection as you have suspected.....

Im pretty confident your on the right track

HTH
Frank

Thanks for the reply. I hope you're right. If you are it means another trip into the attic to run an additional wire. Four wires didn't cut it. One ground, now two needed, one siren, one strobe, and one tamper. Sounds like 22/4 didn't make it.

Output 2 is a switched negative. The + side is on all the time with +12VDC. The negative side is switched through a FET Power Transistor to Negative. Do not connect the Negative side of the siren to a common Negative or it will stay on all the time.

Output 2 is supervised and has a supervision current running through it. If you measure across Output 2 with a volt meter you will see 12 VDC when nothing else is connected. A speaker or most any resistance up to about 4700 ohms will satisfy the supervision current so that the M1 does not show Output 2 trouble.

Thank you both. It's back to the attic to run another ground wire. I learn a little more with each installation. I'm looking forward to the day when an installation goes without a hitch.

Hi,

A friend of mine gived me an unused Ademco Wave 2 indoor siren. When trying to connect it to the out 2, i notice that there were current.

I need help! :-( I don't know how to connect it. Here is a link to the siren description.

I taught I only need to connect negative from the M1 out2 to the siren ground and the positive from the M1 out2 to the Steady tone (+)?

Stef.

From what I learned about Output 2 and its supervision I wouldn't mess with it. I think the better way is to use an ELK or similar relay, trigger it with one of the outputs, or use Output 3, and supply either with 12 volts from the M1 or a supplemental power supply depending on your present current draw.

If the Ademco noise maker is a piezo device, it only takes a very small amount of current to trigger it. The supervision current on the M1 may make it turn on enough to hear it. As suggested above, use a relay on output 2 like the Elk 912 or equivalent and the contacts of the relay to trigger the siren. +12V to the siren +, then the negative of the siren to one of the normally open contacts on the relay. The other normally open contact to power supply negative. The + and - relay trigger to the Output 2 terminals. This should work fine.

Or use Output 3 relay contacts and write a Rule to turn on Output 3 when any alarm is triggered. Also a Rule to turn off the relay when the alarm turns off.

Spanky said:
Output 2 is a switched negative. The + side is on all the time with +12VDC. The negative side is switched through a FET Power Transistor to Negative. Do not connect the Negative side of the siren to a common Negative or it will stay on all the time.

Output 2 is supervised and has a supervision current running through it. If you measure across Output 2 with a volt meter you will see 12 VDC when nothing else is connected. A speaker or most any resistance up to about 4700 ohms will satisfy the supervision current so that the M1 does not show Output 2 trouble.
Hi Spanky,

I decide to remove my Ademco Siren for the moment. Now I have the Output 2 Trouble message on the keypad.

According to the installation manual and other post, I place a 2200 ohms resistor that came with the M1 accross the Outpu2 connector.

I still get the message, even after turning the M1 off then back on. I also tried another terminal and another resistor...

Any idea?

Stef

Measure the output voltage on the zone. If you dont see the 12 Vdc (nominal) then there is a SLIGHT chance that the board is damaged. If I remember correctly there is a PTC protecting the output but if the impedance of the siren was to low it is possible that the output was damaged before the PTC could react.

This is only a very slight possibility and not likely. It is VERY hard to damage the M1 but it can happen.

This is also just my opinion. Check with Spanky since he knows the panel better than anyone I guess.

Running a seperate wire from the siren to the minus terminal solved my problem. Fix one, find another. See my new thread.

Digger said:
Measure the output voltage on the zone. If you dont see the 12 Vdc (nominal) then there is a SLIGHT chance that the board is damaged. If I remember correctly there is a PTC protecting the output but if the impedance of the siren was to low it is possible that the output was damaged before the PTC could react.

This is only a very slight possibility and not likely. It is VERY hard to damage the M1 but it can happen.

This is also just my opinion. Check with Spanky since he knows the panel better than anyone I guess.
I did a measurement and mine was showing a bit over 13v if I remember.

If its showing voltage then any minimal current draw should give you the supervision. Almost any resistor there should work.

Hi,

I just verify again and I have -13.87v between - and + of the output2 terminal.

I tried connecting a 2.2k Ohm resistor between the - and + of output2. The Output2 trouble message continued. :D

Do I need another kind of resistor?

That is the only problem I have with my Elk... Still have not connect it to the phone.

Stef

Back