Philips Hue Long Term Review: Best Bulbs Ever (until they die), Worst Software Ever

ChrisCicc

As a home automation expert and long time user of Hue (dating back to the Living Colors days, and before that building my own color changing LED fixtures), I thought I'd submit a review because I've definitely had a mixed experience.

First the good. These might be the best featured light bulbs ever to grace the Earth. Between the ability to perfectly replicate the entire white light spectrum, to replicating any color of the rainbow, all while consuming just 7 watts, is absolutely incredible. This is what bulbs should be. Period.

Now the bad. I've owned five of the BR40 (downlight) bulbs. TWO of them have died.

What happened in each case was while using the color changing ability, the bulbed flashed colors and then locked. Flipping the switch resulted in the bulb restarting to white only, and never changing a color again. More importantly, it was no longer reachable in from the Hue bridge.

The second failed bulb I was able to eventually control remotely again, by manually starting a bulb search in the Hue app. Instead of appearing as "Downlight 2" as it had before, it now appeared as "Lamp 1" with a different icon.

I was able to dim it and change color, but I noticed the colors no longer matched the rest of the bulbs in the set depending on the color selected. That's when I figured out what happened: one of the LEDs shorted out, causing the networking failure. When it rebooted the short was burned out so it communicated again, but not as itself. And when it tried to replicate colors, anything with blue in it was off, but the reds were pretty much spot on. So one of the LEDs burned out. So now I'm off to Home Depot to exchange.

Finally, the software. My goodness is it atrocious. Thankfully I use my own software CastleOS to control the scenes, because when I add the new bulb, I'm going to have to do a factory reset on the bridge because THERE IS NO WAY TO DELETE OLD/BAD DEVICES.

After months and months, it is beyond my comprehension why when I open the app, my lights don't show up. It doesn't detect them for several seconds, AND I have to cycle to and from the lights tab before they'll show even after detection. And when they show in the list, it's a few seconds longer before they'll show on the color selection panel.

Here's the thing - I've used the Hue API extensively, and there is no lag time in getting this information from the Bridge. When you open the app, the connection to the bridge, even if using network discovery over WiFi, is near instantaneous, and the device list and current state is immediately available.

Let me repeat that. It will often take 20-30 seconds for me to be able to control the lights upon opening the Hue app, but the information is instantly available from the Hue Bridge's own API.

Finally, some other flaws. The Hue app when I'm connected to both WiFi and the cell network will think I'm only connected to the cell network when trying to update the Hue software. Also, the Hue app routinely gives me notifications, but when I open them, the action buttons therein are disabled and I can't do anything with them.

So in summary, the bulbs are great, but clearly have some quality issues with LEDs in these early devices. The quality of the hardware overall is great, and it's clear the hardware team doesn't deserve the software team. Philips should fire the software management and start fresh, because they have no idea how to build a quality software app.

Thank you Chris.

I have been a very slow adopter of the indoor LED lamp.  I am still having personal issues relating to the concept and use of software for a light bulb.

That said I have been playing (testing) the 12VDC RGB LED lamp outdoors (wireless remote style) and whatever it is I am using is still working having been buried in the snow for a couple of months.

and before that building my own color changing LED fixtures

Were the ones you built DC low voltage or AC voltage fixtures?

pete_c said:
Were the ones you built DC low voltage or AC voltage fixtures?

DC. I bought a bunch of LEDs from Hong Kong. Back then you needed a few dozen to get the effect, CREE wasn't pumping out high power high quality dirt cheap LEDs yet ;)

Funny story, my first prototype, the first time I turned it on to test the first color array (green), it worked! Then I unplugged it....and it didn't turn off. I had accidentally built a capacitor lol! It stayed on for over a minute too. 

Yeah here beta tested an RGB controller from Hong Kong last year called the iSmart Wifi RGB LED Controller

It was an updated PLC device with a wireless piece and serial connection to it.  It worked well.  That said the seller / vendor wrote up a Homeseer plugin for it to help sell it.

It was analog versus the newer digital ones.   It was fast enough for me to use it serially just fine.  I did test the X10 and WIreless to work just fine.

RGB-Controller.jpg

The seller / vendor started the dialog about the device as a "what if" and did actually build / manufactured said device to stuff we mentioned on the forum.

Just noticed he added an Ethernet version.  That was another request for control of the device.  (serial, wireless 802.11X, standard catXX network connectivity).

Our users have been reporting good results controlling them via CQC, though there have been some mysterious 'hub lost track of a light' problems reported.

Not into that indoors RGB stuff or effects that have a circus look about them in our home.

Personally the bulbs fall into that same category of circus lighting which I do not want to utilize. 

The local in town police station themed all of their outdoor landscaping LED lighting to blue (which looks very Micky mouse).

I have seen theme coloured incandescent lighting used during the holidays here adding a nice circus look to whatever outside.

That is me.

I have a friend who's really interested in not so much to change to different light 'colors' but to different color temperatures of white for different times of day and night.

I still think the bulb is a weird place for the 'automation' to be.

OP - I have the app on my phone communicate directly via the bridge instead of through the hue website which means I have local control only, but it's instantaneous - and is extremely quick at noticing when a light is switched on or off at the switch... the exclamation point showing the light is offline goes away very quickly once I flip the switch on and it lets me change the color.  

I believe I saw something stating that once you enable the "anywhere" access through the hue website it'll try to always use it - I suspect that may be part of the delay?  Also, is this iOS or Android?

I have four Phillips Hue bulbs and the colours suck. Reds, violets, oranges, yellows and the white spectrum works well but these bulbs cannot produce a proper blue or green period. Look at their spec chart and you will see those colours are just not there. The best blue is an indigo with a rich purple tint to the blue (really nice rich colour but not deep blue) and the best green is somewhere around a washed out lime green, closer to yellow. Dimming the bulb helps the user to see it more true green.

I now own some MilIght bulbs and they produce every colour much better than Phillips, cost about 1/4 the price but have their own problems. The white power output is much brighter than Phillips but the RGB colours are less bright. So far nobody has been able to produce pastels with their system and/or using the LED RGBW strips ether so we suspect it may be just the controllers. The LED strips can definitely do it from some other controllers. This system also loses links from time to time and bulbs have to be relinked. Another point worth mentioning is the docs you get with their systems is so outdated the linking and delinking techniques have all been changed and do not function as stated in their bad Engrish. My wife accidently stumbled on how to switch an RGB running bulb to white. This was never stated anywhere.

Work2Play said:
OP - I have the app on my phone communicate directly via the bridge instead of through the hue website which means I have local control only, but it's instantaneous - and is extremely quick at noticing when a light is switched on or off at the switch... the exclamation point showing the light is offline goes away very quickly once I flip the switch on and it lets me change the color.  

I believe I saw something stating that once you enable the "anywhere" access through the hue website it'll try to always use it - I suspect that may be part of the delay?  Also, is this iOS or Android?

Unfortunately I don't have the global access enabled, just the basics. Trouble persists just the same. Not to mention the point of a smart bulb is "ultimate simplicity".  

Back