placement of Elk M1ZTS temp sensor and hello!

jwest

I am new to the Elk M1G, just purchased my system. Here's a summary of what I have:

M1GSYS4S, extra M1KP2, SP12F, XEP,150RT, SL1C, PSC05, M1ZTS, XSP, extra can (SWB28), M1RB. Attached are an RCS TR16, FSA-410B detectors, & SRPG2 GB/PIR's.

Also involved in the setup is an aiphone system, DVR & cams, and FM352 gate opener.

This forum seems to be "the place to be" and looks like an incredible resource. Greetings to all!

Question: The house is a weekend property, we will probably only be there 2 or 3 weekends (overnight) per month as well as 2 or 3 weekdays per month. It is a "ranch" style house with one main floor and a completely finished basement. The RCS TR16 will be on the main floor. Since I have an M1ZTS to monitor temps, and the TR16 will also monitor temps, I was thinking of placing the M1ZTS either outside (so I can get both inside and outside temps reported), or I can put it in the basement to make sure that during the away temp setting (or during a power outage in winter) I will know if I'm in danger of freezing pipes. I would prefer to use the M1ZTS for an outside temp, but I am concerned that the temp reported by the TR16 on the main floor might not be accurate enough to rely on for the basement temp. There is a very large open stairwell (no doors) from the main floor to the basement, so there should be some amount of temp equalization between the floors. Thoughts anyone?

Back