Possible to use Insteon 600W Dimmer standalone?

HPVOHHR

Hi everyone. Did a little searching on the forum but wasn't able to find an what I was looking for.

I've purchased and installed an Elk M1G in my new home and would eventually like to get an ISY99i for Insteon. I'm not quite ready to buy the bulk of the Insteon stuff yet but I do need a dimmer in the meantime for our dining room.

Is it possible for me to install one of the Insteon 600W dimmers and operate it as a standalone dimmer for the interim, until I purchase the other Insteon equipment?

I'd rather not buy a "normal" dimmer now and then replace it with an Insteon device later on if I don't have to.

Appreciate any help and feedback.
Thanks.

Absolutely, as long as it's the only switch that controls the light. If it's in a 3-way configuration, you must replace all switches that control the light.

Sure, pretty much all automated switches work as manual switches. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes they will still need to be programmed to your environment first. For example a UPB switch out of the box is set to dimming mode. If you wanted it to control a fluorescent (not CFL) light you need to switch it to Snap (on/off) mode first. That would require a PIM and the Upstart software up front. Once that was setup right you could use the switch manually just fine. I know you mentioned Insteon but since I'm not familiar with all the options with Insteon its just an example...

That's great - thanks for your help guys. I'm glad that I can start to buy the switches now (and use them) and then add the other automation components/functionality at a later date.

Much appreciated!

D

Also if you had two dimmer versions next to each other in the same electrical box. They have to have the maximum wattage de-rated by 200 watts per module. If there is a non dimming switch between them. They do not have to be de-rated.

Back