Pre-Wire Requirements - Elk M1 Gold Alarm Panel

ccmichaelson

I'm about to start my DIY pre-wire on my home and I want to ensure I'm running the correct wire for an Elk M1 Gold.  First of all a few questions:
  1. I assume I home run all wires from every motion sensor, door contact, window contact, keypad correct?
  2. What wire(s) do I need to run between the alarm panel and a keypad?
  3. Rather than purchase external speaker(s) can I use my whole home audio system (TDB) speakers throughout my house?  I guess I'd need to figure out how to wire up the alarm panel's audio out -> WHA system.
Assumptions:
  • Door/Window Contacts:  AWG 22/4 - (I know that I can use 22/2 but figured it's easier to just buy a lot of bulk 22/4 and use it for both contacts and motion sensors).
  • Motion Sensors:  AWG 22/4
  • Glass Break w/ Motion:  AWG 22/4
  • Keypads:  *** I have no idea what wire(s) I need to run.  Perhaps a CAT 6 & 22/4?
  • Smokies:  ??? No idea

Home running the wires is a good way to do things, as it gives you the flexibility to put each contact or sensor on its own zone.

If you are going to home run the keypad wires, use Cat5/Cat6 for the keypads, as you need 6 conductors when wiring this way.

There are 2-wire and 4-wire smokes, so you need the appropriate number of conductors for the type you are using.  For smokes, you must use 18/2 or 18/4 fire alarm wire, type FPL or FPLR.   If you aren't sure about going with 2-wire or 4-wire smokes, just run 18/4 and you'll be covered. The smokes should be daisy chained, not home run, as they need an EOL resistor and possibly an EOL relay at the end of the chain.

Relating to the Leviton HAI OmniPro II....

Here utilized mostly 22/4 and 22/2 for all contacts and PIRs.  Purchased it in bulk.

Everything is home run to the can.

I ran cat5e for keypads and touchscreens.  Older ones connect to a hub with RJ45 today (redid the terminations when I went to using the HAI Omnitouch 5.7's.  The older keypads and touchscreens used 4 wires.  Power requirements were different for the keypads and the legacy touchscreens.  Used same wires and patched them over for the HAI IP connected touchscreens.  This stuff goes to a subpanel.

I do not remember what I used for the 4 wire smokes and CO detectors (other than 4 wires); It was a PITA for me to do these in a zoned manner and I added extra stuff (relays here are in the panel) in the can for these.  I wish I had daisy chained these but did not.  I am not sure how different the HAI 4-wire smoke stuff is from the Elk M1 panel 4-wire smoke stuff.

I did leave in place all of the contractor installed smokes.

The M1 comes with one speaker for interior announcements and alarms. The Elk can also output to a Russound CAA66 whole house audio system which is pretty cool.

Don't forget to give some consideration to your power supply and/or all those wall warts!

If you want to place speakers behind your keypads (a la SP12F behind KP2s) you'll want to pull wire for those too... I ran 18/2 myself.

Use at least 22/4 and not 22/2. You can never have too many wires.

Yup; and the 22/4 are almost as thin as the 22/2 cables such you might was well use them.  Personally here in to pure wired stuff rather than anything wireless; but that is me.

Back