Pre-Wire Security Contacts - Drilling Holes Through Studs, Jams, Windows

ccmichaelson

i am building a new house and planning to run all low voltage wires myself. Does anyone have or have seen a really good write-up with photos or videos on properly drilling through door jams, windows, etc... I'm planning to use plunger-style contacts on doors so I don't have to drill holes in my doors too. Thanks a million!

Here's one place to start.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/739-how-to-install-a-home-security-system/

You can also find some videos on youtube by searching for "recessed alarm contact" or similar strings.

Some folks don't like plunger type contacts because of reliability issues; magnetic contacts tend to be more reliable. If you do buy plunger contacts, get a good quality brand like G.R.I. or Tane.    If you go with a magnetic contact, you could use a thin rare earth magnet that can be epoxied in place if you really object to drilling into the door.

Wiring up the windows will vary, depending on the type of window: sliding, casement, doublehung, etc.  Check your window warranties to see whether drilling into the sash or frame might cause warranty issues.

Whatever you do, make sure to leave sufficient slack in the wire behind the contact to allow it to be removed and replaced if that ever becomes necessary.

Back