Preferred location for new smoke/heat detector

ecborgoyn

I would like to install a new smoke/heat sensor (a GE photoelectric smoke, heat - I forget the model #).  It will be located on a suspended ceiling, probably near the doorway between two rooms in the basement.  There is an existing smoke/heat sensor in the basement near the stairs in what we call the game room.  In my 'construction phase' I've built several rooms in the basement area including a media room (future home theater), a utility room (think: walk-in pantry), a workshop and a combination craft room and laundry room.  Since the door to the workshop could potentially closed, my thought was to add a smoke/heat sensor somewhere in the workshop / craft room area.  There IS a door between these two rooms, but not often closed.  The only access to the craft room is through the workshop.  This probably explains the situation well enough.

I should add that the craft room also is a 'secondary' washer/dryer room (primary set is on the first floor of the house).  So at first I was reluctant to put the smoke sensor directly in that room.  For-what-its-worth, off of the craft room is the 'mechanical room' (furnace & DHW) that currently has a heat sensor.

Not that it matters, but all of these sensors are tied into the Elk M1G panel...

The workshop is mostly an electronics shop and not a woodworking shop.  OK, maybe an occasional drilling or Dremel tooling, but nothing too dusty.  And after all of my construction projects are done, (yeah, right) it should be cleaner.

OK, So my latest project is to turn the workshop into my server room.  A 42U rack to house a NAS, whole-house audio controllers, network receiver, ethernet switch(s), UPS, router, etc.  (and future home for the theater electronics).

So I'd now like to deploy an additional smoke/heat somewhere near the doorway between the craft room and workshop.  The rooms have the standard suspended ceiling.  But running above the doorway if a 'bulkhead' which contains the HVAC ductwork.  The attached (poor quality) photos show the situation.

So the question is this:  where to mount the new smoke/heat?  On the higher part of the ceiling?  Lower part of the ceiling?  Craft/Laundry Room? or Workshop/Server Room?  Or maybe none-of-the-above.  How well do smoke sensors work on suspended ceilings?  Does the smoke tend to rise above the ceiling and make the sensor less useful?  Another thought, maybe I should mount the new sensor in the open space above the server rack.  This would actually be above the suspended ceiling..

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 8
Thanks.  That makes sense.  Will I be causing too many 'trouble' conditions due to dust in the area?  I know, folks probably can't comment on the amount of dust in our rooms.....   But we do attempt to control the dust in most parts of the house.  I try to remember to vacuum the other smoke detectors fairly often.

Thanks again.

I believe this image will help in making a prudent decision:
dr_376b87ab42d200383cbee7e7405df985.jpg

If you're doing dusty or particulate, then a HD would be the suggestion. If you're pretty clean and normal, then a SD should be OK.

Back