Prepping to hang drywall, New Construction (RA2 + Zwave + HomeSeer)

nickk678

Hi all,

As the title implies, I'm building a new house for my family of 5 (inc. 3 kids under the age of 4!).  I've done a lot of research on HA and have a good idea of what I want, which initially was a Loxone system.  The problem is I will not be able to install up front to implement their miniserver/lighting/etc due to all the other crap I have to buy to furnish this house (deck, sod, landscaping, etc etc) - a lot will be retrofit.  So, while I do have the opportunity right now, I am running Cat5e to every room as well as outside (sitting next to me right now is a FLIR IP PoE NVR setup to cover the entire new house).

So anyway, I've sucmmed to starting off with a RadioRA 2 system in the important areas (ie: kitchen, great room, etc).  I also have Sonos stuff that will move to the new house in the great room and likely the kitchen too.  After I get the lighting situation stabilized (my builder doesn't do dimmers in any of the rooms), I will move on to other stuff, ie: building a server with HomeSeer to pull everything together.  With this, I'd like to get the NVR, RA2, and Sonos (and maybe my girlfriend Alexa) together on the same page.  

Here is my biggest concern with everything at this point in time - I want to install LED strips in my kitchen above and below the cabinets and I'm learning that only Z-wave (which interfaces with HomeSeer) can allow for both an LED driver + RGBW switch (trigger) (Fibaro Micro z-wave).  So, my question ultimately is - Can I walk into my kitchen, tap the "party" button on my RA2 keypad, and have it both dim my RA2 lights as well as trigger my LED (z-wave) strips at the same time through HomeSeer?

Finally, anything else you guys think I should consider while the walls are open?  In a perfect world, I would have run 16/4 to the windows in these same areas for blinds, but unfortunately we signed off on all the plans already, and it is A LOT of money to change them (and I can't run my own 120V, only low voltage).  I'd like to get a door bell outside that I can run through the NVR (and trigger events) - any recommendations here?  I can have my builder through a single gang box outdoors next to the door and I can get Cat5e up there, just not sure where to start.

Thanks all for your support.
Nick K.

You don't need 110V to operate the blinds, run 16/2 + 22/4 to each window, and you'll have an option to install a variety of shades later. Also, check that Homeseer can interface with this specific device from Fibaro, not to be disappointed later. Of course, running a cat5 to the LED strips will give you more options for control. Run a wire to any place you may consider putting an automated device later. For the door bell box, run 2 cat5, that will allow you to add a camera as well.

picta said:
You don't need 110V to operate the blinds, run 16/2 + 22/4 to each window, and you'll have an option to install a variety of shades later. Also, check that Homeseer can interface with this specific device from Fibaro, not to be disappointed later. Of course, running a cat5 to the LED strips will give you more options for control. Run a wire to any place you may consider putting an automated device later. For the door bell box, run 2 cat5, that will allow you to add a camera as well.

Thanks - As you can maybe see I haven't done any research on the blinds yet as they aren't a priority (if you have any brands you recommend I take a look at that work well with RA2, let me know!).  The Fibaro device is Z-wave, so I assumed no problem.  I'll look into it more.  If for some reason it cannot, what other options are out there that would allows RA2 or RA2/HomeSeer to coordinate the lights with the LED strips?

FYI, the door bell I've been looking at at Door Bird.

drvnbysound said:
For the doorbell you can run 18/2 to where the bell will be placed inside and use the Elk doorbell module to covert the signal to dry contact that could be connected to the NVR.

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-930-doorbell-and-telephone-ring-detector

Awesome, thanks.

Back