Programming Elk for dial out

I am having trouble getting a customers M1 to call their cell phones upon a burglar or fire alarm. I have entered the phone nubers from the keypad, set it for voice, set one phone as primary and one as backup and used the identical rules from the last system. What am I missing.

I set one up for a client a few weeks ago and it worked first time. On that system, I first set up all the settings for remote and local telephone access and control.

Are some of the setting for phone control needed to make the Elk dial out as well?

The only clue that I hve is that I am not getting the "Telco seized" and "Dialer active" leds during an alarm. Is ther any way to test these using RP?

The voice dialer will only activate from a programmed rule. You'll need to write your custom rule with ELK-RP and send it to the M1.

Thanks, but as I said in my post, i used the identical rules that worked in the last customers M1. That is why I am stumped with this system. The only difference is that the first system is also set up to act as an answering machine for remote telephone access.

The homeowners have been living there for months. They just now decided to ask for the Elk to call them during an alarm condition.

The phone line comes from a comcast cable modem. The line from the modem goes through the RJ31X before they hit the first house phone. I will re-check the connections and listen for dial tone with my buttset at the RJ31x.

Will the Elk's "Telco Active" and "Dialer Seized" leds come on if there is no dial tone or are the indicators going to light up as a result of the internal workngs of the M1 regardless of the telephone line status?

I apologize, you mentioned that you programmed the phone numbers through the keypad, so I must have blocked out in my mind the rest of the sentence that stated you had rules programmed.
You might what to recheck the telephone number programmed into the M1. Be sure that the 1st position doesn't have a blank space. When the M1 needs to dial, it checks the first digit, if it's not valid it will not go off-hook.
You can also check the phone line voltage at the M1 by using the keypad. Menu 8, submenu 6, subsubmenu 4. This will display the last on-hook phone line voltage detected by the M1. You should read about 50V, +-20%.

dlamb,

Thanks for the tips I will check both of those things. Any idea if the leds light before or after the dialing event?

Comcast voice generates standard on/off hook/ringer voltages from the combo cable/phone modem; according to the installer, but hey, marketing hype is still suspect.

Spanky? Any ideas about comcast compatability?

I use Vonage telephone service and it generates all the voltages and tones. It works fine with the M1. Someone with Comcast is going to have to let us know how it works. It is probably being used, but we do not hear about it unless it does not work.

Shouldn't the fact that it is VOIP (Vonage or Comcast or whatever) be irrelevant since he is doing VOICE calls? I understand that VOIP may have issues with monitoring/data/fax calls. But shouldn't the VOIP interface present normal dial-tone and receive DTMF just fine? If not, it seems like a lot of telephones wouldn't work either. Now if the Comcast box is not putting out the 50V that Don asked about, then I wouldn't be surprised if the M1 doesn't work.

I am having trouble getting a customers M1 to call their cell phones upon a burglar or fire alarm. I have entered the phone nubers from the keypad, set it for voice, set one phone as primary and one as backup and used the identical rules from the last system. What am I missing.

I set one up for a client a few weeks ago and it worked first time. On that system, I first set up all the settings for remote and local telephone access and control.

Are some of the setting for phone control needed to make the Elk dial out as well?

The only clue that I hve is that I am not getting the "Telco seized" and "Dialer active" leds during an alarm. Is ther any way to test these using RP?

Try this

Get the panel to generate a call, I've setup the F4 keypad light to show line seized. Wait say 5 minutes after no dialout and then use your cellphone and dial the phone number of the dialler and see if it answers ?

I have a weird issue that on alarm, the panel will dial out ok to a base however if I send ANYTHING but an alarm (or a weekly test), the panel wont dial out and I find that the first person that dials into the house from outside, wakes the dialer, dialer tries to handshake, hangs up and THEN dials out itself successfully...I've fully replaced the phone line from the termination point to the dialer and have 1 phone on the line and it still does it....

Cheers..Pete

Shouldn't the fact that it is VOIP (Vonage or Comcast or whatever) be irrelevant since he is doing VOICE calls? I understand that VOIP may have issues with monitoring/data/fax calls. But shouldn't the VOIP interface present normal dial-tone and receive DTMF just fine? If not, it seems like a lot of telephones wouldn't work either. Now if the Comcast box is not putting out the 50V that Don asked about, then I wouldn't be surprised if the M1 doesn't work.

You would think but there are many cases where it doesn't:

http://www.peakalarm.com/voip.htm

http://www.adt.com/wps/portal/adt/for_your...y_systems/voip/

these are just a few examples

Customer was on vacation, but when I finally got back into the house the fix was simple.

2 problems, a blank space before the phone number and the number of dialing attempts was set at 8. Apparently the max number of attempts for voice is 2. All is well now, customer is happy, thanks for the tips. :(

Back