Proper sizing of HVAC filter

BrettS

As I've mentioned in other posts, I recently bought a new house. This is a newly constructed townhouse and I got a great deal on it because I purchased it after someone else had backed out on their contract. Unfortunately by the time I put an offer in on the house it was 99% finished and I couldn't do any customization (in fact, it was less than 20 days between the day I made my offer and the day we closed).

In any case, I was going under the assumtion that my HVAC systems were dual stage because the HVAC contractor had hand written "Dual Stage" on the little sticker that they put on the side of the air handler. When I went to install my TZ16 thermostats I discovered that these are, in fact, single stage units. Not really a big deal.

But here is the bigger problem... as I was setting up the thermostats and trying to figure out whether these really were dual stage systems or not I got a hold of the installation manual for the air handlers. I noticed that it calls for a minimum filter size of 16x20 inches. The HVAC contractor, in their infinite wisdom, put the filter in the return vent in the living space, but they only put in a vent sized for a 16x16 filter. I'm sure this is hurting the effeciency of the system, and probably not doing good things for the lifespan of the blower motor either... It's like running with a clogged filter all the time.

I didn't notice too much of a problem with the really cheap fiberglass filter that was installed when I bought the house (the kind with the blue fibers that are spaced so far apart that you can practically see through the filter), but I just replaced the filter with a slightly better pleated filter that doesn't allow as much air to pass through and I think it's really starving the system for air (not to mention that it whistles whenever the system is running now).

As I see it, I have two options now... I can get a new return vent that will hold a 16x20 filter, but because the duct behind the vent is only 16x16 it will be a bit of work to actually get it installed and airtight and all... particularly without damaging the wall around it too much.

I also discovered that the air handlers have a built in filter holder underneath them that should hold a 16x20 filter, so I figured the easiest thing might be to just take the 16x16 filter out of the return vent (I'm hoping that the vent and the ductwork will be big enough without the filter blocking the airflow) and install a 16x20 filter under the air handler. It's a little less convenient this way, but I figured it beats modifying the duct and doing some drywall work. Unfortunately, however, it looks like the HVAC contractor got me there too... they used that space to attach the brackets that they used to mount the air handler. I think it's still usable for a filter, but the brackets reduce the size from 16x20 to about 15.5x20, which, of course, is a little bit too small for a 16x20 filter.

I'm hoping that I might be able to find a 15x20 filter to put in there, which should still be significantly better than the 16x16 I'm using now, otherwise I've seen some filters that come with the media and material to make a bracket, so you can make a custom size. I figure if I get something like that I should be able to make a 15.5x20 filter.

What do you guys think of these ideas? Any better thoughts?

Thanks much,
Brett

My personal opinion is to just leave it. If the weak point is the duct size then installing a larger filter will have little effect.

I prefer to have the filter easily changeable rather than at the unit (my unit is in my attic).

You can talk to 20 different HVAC people and you'll get 19 different opinions.

I use the cheap blue mesh filters and change them every month and have had no issues. I buy them by the case at the local HVAC supply house. I have a 16X20 inch ceiling mounted return vent that channels through a ceiling joist to the unit and it works fine.

Others may disagree.

The worst thing you can do is NOT change the filter often, like your average homeowner.

My personal opinion is to just leave it. If the weak point is the duct size then installing a larger filter will have little effect.

Thanks for the post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should get a lot more airflow through an unimpeded 16x16 duct than I would through a 16x16 filter. Even if I don't get the airflow that I should because of the ducts, I'm thinking that going with a bigger filter (and as long as I can find one) should certainly help, no?

If I do stay with the 16x16 filter I'm going to have to go back to the cheap fiberglass kind... this pleated one is restricting the airflow even more than that was and the whistling is driving me nuts;)

Thanks,
Brett

Anytime you can increase the surface area of the filter it will help things. The size of the ducts will have an impact on the resistance of airflow at a given velocity. If you increase the net surface area of filtration, air will flow with less resistance through it (ie the pressure drop due to the filtration will be less and hence easier on the furnace motor).

You might want to take this question over to the [post="0"]hvac-talk forums[/post] for a more in depth discussion... there are some very knowledgeable people there who might be able to give you a more detailed answer than I can.

Hope this helps... :)

what size (BTU or tons) is your system, typically you get ~400cfm per ton(12KBTU) . .

your 16x16 duct (if it's that size all the way to the unit) can handle ~1800cfm (OK for a 4ton, a bit undersized for a 5ton)

are there any other returns or fresh air intakes ?

filters are typically undersized a bit, try your 16x16 at the unit and see if it fits, if it does, get a 20x16 . .

what size (BTU or tons) is your system, typically you get ~400cfm per ton(12KBTU) . .

your 16x16 duct (if it's that size all the way to the unit) can handle ~1800cfm (OK for a 4ton, a bit undersized for a 5ton)

are there any other returns or fresh air intakes ?

filters are typically undersized a bit, try your 16x16 at the unit and see if it fits, if it does, get a 20x16 . .

Pete, the system is a 2 ton heat pump, and from the manual the blower moves a bit more than 1000cfm, so it sounds like the ducts may be OK, but I think the filter is still woefully undersized.

Unfortunately the 16x16 filter doesn't fit under the unit... it only about 1/4 shy (although you're right that it's undersized a bit). I did see that I can get a 15x20 filter online, so maybe I'll try that. I figure it's gotta be better than the 16x16 I have in there now.

Thanks,
Brett

Anytime you can increase the surface area of the filter it will help things. The size of the ducts will have an impact on the resistance of airflow at a given velocity. If you increase the net surface area of filtration, air will flow with less resistance through it (ie the pressure drop due to the filtration will be less and hence easier on the furnace motor).

You might want to take this question over to the [post="0"]hvac-talk forums[/post] for a more in depth discussion... there are some very knowledgeable people there who might be able to give you a more detailed answer than I can.

Hope this helps... :)

Thanks sau... I think I'll give that forum a try too. I noticed that there had 3 inch filters in some sizes (although not 16x16). I'm wondering if I can manage to get a 16x16x3 filter in there instead of a 16x16x1 if that would increase the surface area enough.

Brett

Thanks sau... I think I'll give that forum a try too. I noticed that there had 3 inch filters in some sizes (although not 16x16). I'm wondering if I can manage to get a 16x16x3 filter in there instead of a 16x16x1 if that would increase the surface area enough.

Brett

not sure if your install will allow this . . but if your return duct is long enough you can install a filter track at an angle, allowing a 20" filter in your 16"duct . .

not sure if your install will allow this . . but if your return duct is long enough you can install a filter track at an angle, allowing a 20" filter in your 16"duct . .

That's a very interesting thought. I'll have to measure the space tonight to see if it will fit, but from what I remember I think the space may be there.

Thanks again,
Brett

Back