Protect Your Home with Laserbeams

electron

Administrator
Staff member
A fun video showing how you can build a cheap ($20) laser based security system. Obviously, don't use this in mission critical applications, but since some people like tinkering, I figured I would post this here.

But how do you mount them to the shark's head?..... :)

Frickin' Laser Beams

So, why not just aim this at the moon and get real-time distance measurements that can be updated in homeseer. That way, we can automate controls based on where the moon is (you know, for tides and things) :lol:

I forsee a servo mounted laster that automatically points at the moon based on lat/long and the date. I like it! :)

brave BAD MOOSE! LOL.

OK, cool diy project. But isnt there a cheap ready to use version that we could use in a production environment?

Neat. I thought of that a while ago for another purpose, but I need to figure out how to split the laser into two beams without having to use two lasers. I was thinking of fiber optics, or possibly some sort of prisms. Anyone have any good ideas?

Neat. I thought of that a while ago for another purpose, but I need to figure out how to split the laser into two beams without having to use two lasers. I was thinking of fiber optics, or possibly some sort of prisms. Anyone have any good ideas?
Use a beam splitting mirror like is used to produce holograms. Essentially it is a semitransparent mirror that allows half the beam to pass through and the other half is refected off to the side. Here is one for sale on ebay for $9.

I once saw a killer rabbit with big pointy nasty teeth

Use a beam splitting mirror like is used to produce holograms. Essentially it is a semitransparent mirror that allows half the beam to pass through and the other half is refected off to the side. Here is one for sale on ebay for $9.

Thanks Robolo! That's a great idea -- perfect, in fact! I'm going to experiment with some one-way glass that I have lying around to see if that works, and if so, how small I can make my device.

Back