QUATECH ThinkQ QSE-100D-BA 4 Port RS-232 Serial Server (CHEAP!)

Well, it finally got to the point where the Datanab was not responding *at all*. So something is definitely fishy.

Just for fun, I tried connecting the datanab through a different PC (since all PC's can see the quatech ports)....and it connected, and so far hasn't disconnected.

Has anyone else here verified these things work with WHS, which is what I have CQC on? I know there was some trickery involved in getting the ports to show up in WHS...after the first install, they all showed as having yellow exclamation marks at the ports...but then I tried to "update" the driver for each, and the exclamation marks went away, and they seemed to be working...but it still leaves me wondering if I installed them correctly.

Well, it finally got to the point where the Datanab was not responding *at all*. So something is definitely fishy.

Just for fun, I tried connecting the datanab through a different PC (since all PC's can see the quatech ports)....and it connected, and so far hasn't disconnected.

Has anyone else here verified these things work with WHS, which is what I have CQC on? I know there was some trickery involved in getting the ports to show up in WHS...after the first install, they all showed as having yellow exclamation marks at the ports...but then I tried to "update" the driver for each, and the exclamation marks went away, and they seemed to be working...but it still leaves me wondering if I installed them correctly.

I had it connected to a WHS box for a while. I dont remember having the same driver problem as you did during install but may have. I also wasnt using anything that was timing critical, just upb pim.

Well, I don't know what this means....but I decided to install the Datanab driver on my regular desktop PC instead of the CQC server (since all my PC's can see the quatech ports, of course), and all day it seemed to be doing great...no disconnects at all. Now, all of the sudden, it's not responding. So, I've installed it on ANOTHER PC...and it's doing just fine.

So it seems to just kind of shut off after a time. I guess after this test, I'll hook it back up to a PC directly to make sure it's not the Datanab going wrong.

As another data point, my ALC/QUATECH timing issues have occurred using a Windows XP SP3 system in conjunction with the 'shrink-wrapped' On-Q SceneTech diagnostic software package. I have not tried using other software in place of SceneTech given that this vanilla test case does not work reliably for me. To reiterate, SceneTech works reliably via direct serial connection and when connected via an EdgePort USB-to-serial converter.

I don't believe that the network is an issue, for me at least. I've got a flat network with both the Windows XP client and QUATECH device plugged into the same managed gigabit Ethernet switch. Speed and duplex are autonegotiated correctly according to the switch, and there are no errors or other indications that there are any layer 2 issues.

Cheers,
-Bill

While playing around with MS Updates, I noticed it now offers Quatech drivers:
Quatech, Incorporated - Bus Controllers and Ports - QSE-100 Four-Port RS-232 Serial Device Server
Date last published: 12/29/2009
Download size: 748 KB
Quatech, Incorporated Bus Controllers and Ports software update released in November, 2009

Haven't tried them, but maybe they are a newer release with some bugs worked out.

Awesome find, Dan....I usually never look at those things. As soon as I've re-constructed my wiring (finally got all the cat5 terminated), I'll give it a try and see if it's any better.

Curious how to do that with WHS, though, since that doesn't use the normal windows Update method to get updates.

Awesome find, Dan....I usually never look at those things. As soon as I've re-constructed my wiring (finally got all the cat5 terminated), I'll give it a try and see if it's any better.

Curious how to do that with WHS, though, since that doesn't use the normal windows Update method to get updates.

cant you rdp in and still use windowsupdate.com?

Yes, windows update still works. I tried it, and interestingly, the quatech update wasn't listed as available. It is for all my XP PC's, but not the WHS one.

Ya, I found it there too. Updating the drivers on WHS was a pain, as running the wizard again just said "The SDS is already installed"...so I'm not sure exactly how to update the drivers to the 11/09 ones. I removed all the serial ports from the device manager, and well try that.

Well, my initial impression of the new drivers was favorable, but now I'm not convinced it's any better. I just installed the drivers on a separate PC that is always on, instead of my WHS machine, so I could compare. My Datanab is getting so bad now with the quatech that it just stops communicating at all. I would *think* maybe that can be troubleshooted then, because CQC is definitely trying to talk to it, and it's not talking back. But if I remove the driver and reinstall (close and open the port), it suddenly works again (for a while).

So, at this point I'm back to where I was of plugging everything into the PC directly. Then, maybe a month or so down the line, I'll start playing again with the idea of moving some devices to a quatech, and when I have definable issues, I'll try contacting their tech support.

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with these. I shouldn't have gotten so enthusiastic about the deal on ebay. B) Not the first time....

This thread is too long to read to know if this has been discussed on not, but I have two suggestions. One is to use the Lantronix rather than the Quatech COM emulation drivers and operate in RAW mode. The second is for the application software to talk directly via IP rather than going through Windows drivers. This direct connection will allow you to manage the connection in a more robust manner based upon the characteritics observed.

Well.  This is an old thread.

But I've been using my Quatech ThinkQ (model QSE-100D-BA) for 7 years now, 24/7 without an issue.  (Actually 2 of them, and I've got another sitting on a shelf as an extra).

The Windows XP machine I was using as a CQC server, however, finally gave out.

I've got a machine now running Windows 10, but I'm having trouble finding drivers for the Quatech, Regardless of Windows version.

So I'm hoping one of you has a copy of the drivers or can point me somewhere to download.  I am somewhat concerned since my initial searching hasn't turned up anything.

AceCannon said:
Well.  This is an old thread.

But I've been using my Quatech ThinkQ (model QSE-100D-BA) for 7 years now, 24/7 without an issue.  (Actually 2 of them, and I've got another sitting on a shelf as an extra).

The Windows XP machine I was using as a CQC server, however, finally gave out.

I've got a machine now running Windows 10, but I'm having trouble finding drivers for the Quatech, Regardless of Windows version.

So I'm hoping one of you has a copy of the drivers or can point me somewhere to download.  I am somewhat concerned since my initial searching hasn't turned up anything.

I've put the latest ones I have on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6B5UrrgomCWdTRxNS1wZngwMFE/view?usp=sharing

I believe W7 is the latest they supported.

Cheers
Al

Back