vcr0p + vm + elve + serial port server not connecting

mdonovan

I am using Elve on a VM with a VCR0P hooked up to a networked serial port server (QUATECH ThinkQ QSE-100D). I have the VCR0P hooked up to the serial port server, the drivers installed on the Elve VM, and Elve configured to look at the correct COM port. It should theoretically work, but Elve just returns a status of not ready. It can't seem to connect to the VCR0P. I also tried connecting the VCR0P directly to the VM host with a USB to serial adapter and giving the VM the USB device, but no dice there either. I also have a Plugwise USB stick set up this way and that's working great.

I have an Ocelot hooked up to the serial port server, and Elve talks to that just fine, so the serial port stuff is set up correctly.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try to get it to work? I've read about some defective VCR0P units somewhere, I'm wondering if I have one. None of my other computers have serial ports anymore so I can't direct connect it to try that.

I appreciate any advice...

Matt

Have you tried playing around with the port settings on the Quatech?  

background: I was just messing with mine the other day as my main HA machine died and I moved everything to a VM.  Once I did that, I was having problems accessing my Russound CAV that's hooked up to the Quatech. Everything seemed fine with the set up, but I couldn't get it to work.  I think on the VM  I'm using a different virtual serial port/redirector than what I was using on the physical box. I eventually solved it by modifying the Russound Elve driver to use the TCP connection to the Quatech directly and bypass the virtual serial port code.

The reason I bring all that up is because to get the direct connection working I had to change the port settings on the Quatech to put it in "raw" mode and have it set the baud rate to what the Russound requires.  So you might want to look at that and if you don't have that port in raw mode, try it, if it is in raw mode, maybe switch it back to normal.

I'm currently using VSPE for the virtual serial port on Global Cache device and I also tried something called HW virtual serial ports with the Quatech.  I believe I was using the Lantronix virtual serial port software before. 

I never tried using other virtual serial port software. I'll give that a try and see if that helps. Great idea.

Matt

I couldn't get the VCR0P to work with the Qualtech so I got a serial port bracket and connected it to the serial port header on the motherboard. Then I attached the serial port to the VM and it's working now. Now I'm fighting with ZWave and I find it 100% frustration. X-10 may be old and limited, but you just set 2 dials and plugged it in and it worked. ZWave has taught me a few new cuss words trying to get it working. I'm going give it a bit more time, then I'm going to look for an alternative.

Thanks for the help though.

Matt

Back