QUATECH ThinkQ QSE-100D-BA 4 Port RS-232 Serial Server (CHEAP!)

I just made a laminated cheat-sheet of which colored wires go to what pin for regular and null adapters, and that takes care of 90% of my adapter needs, and has worked good so far. Then I put a big sharpie "N" on any that are null adapters.

On the very rare custom-wired adapters, as long as I go slow with it, I haven't had too much trouble, and once they're made they're done.

But geez...you're making me want to get MORE of these Quatech things. I'm going to have enough trouble explaining the 3 I just bought.

You insert the tool into the back of the DB9 connector (the side where the wires go in). By doing this, you will unlock those little clips on the wire, and you should be able to pull the wire back out of the hole. If you have trouble doing this, let me know, and I'll see if I can do a quick how-to on this.

You insert the tool into the back of the DB9 connector (the side where the wires go in). By doing this, you will unlock those little clips on the wire, and you should be able to pull the wire back out of the hole. If you have trouble doing this, let me know, and I'll see if I can do a quick how-to on this.

I'd love a how to. I've tried following some other directions I found of the web and still couldn't get it to work. It's almost like the ends of my tool are too large. This is my tool.

I'd love a how to. I've tried following some other directions I found of the web and still couldn't get it to work.
Basically, insert the tool around the wire and into the hole. Sometimes you have to rotate the tool. This then releases the latches, then tug gently on the wire and the pin and tool should come out easily.

Anybody find a good on ebay for a power supply for this thing? I'm seeing really cheap power supplies (like $3) with $3 shipping, but it's coming from Hong Kong. I don't really trust $3 shipping from Hong Kong.

$3 shipping doesn't bother me - even from Hong Kong. I've bought stuff from EBay like that and didn't have any problems (like a cheap RS-232/RS485 converter from Hong Kong). Keep in mind that the power supply is pretty small and light. They'll just ship in in a bubble envelope via regular mail which is pretty cheap. My advice is as long as the EBay seller ratings are very good, don't worry about the low ship price.

PS - I picked up four of these things, so if someone find a line on cheap power supplies, please pass the information on.

Yea, I think we should look around for a good source first before ordering from Hong Kong (eventho I haven't heard about too much trouble ordering electronics through eBay from HK, usually it's as fast and cheap as local). I am hoping Wayne will find out soon.

No crossover is needed, it should show up when it searches for the unit, even if the IP is configured for a different subnet.

Excuse the dumb question but am I understanding this correctly that I can use one of these in a remote location to control RS-232 equiped devices over the internet without at PC at the remote location? That is: only one PC at my house to control devices at a remote location without a PC at that remote location?

That will work, I already tried this a remote location, but I would highly recommend creating a vpn tunnel between the 2 locations.

Excuse the dumb question but am I understanding this correctly that I can use one of these in a remote location to control RS-232 equiped devices over the internet without at PC at the remote location? That is: only one PC at my house to control devices at a remote location without a PC at that remote location?
Actually, I believe Michael McSharry does this where he uses one HomeSeer server to control a remote locations' hardware using this device.

Back