Question about Alarm Wiring (Windows)

Warez

(Posting here also 'cause I need a quick answer... Thanks.)

I'm having a house built and they pre-wire the windows and doors for an alarm system. Well, I've got a couple of questions.

I have two sets of windows that look like this:
windows1.jpg

Here's a close-up of how the window was wired:
windows2.jpg

All the other windows in the house were wired like this:
windows3.jpg

Why the difference?
Should I get all the windows wired the same? Or is this ok?

Next question...
The 3 windows in the next pic are all wired together... not individually.
windows4.jpg

Is this OK? Or should I get each window wired separately?

Thanks,
-Gabriel

The window with the hole on the sill looks like you could use a bullet style magnetic contact. They are very clean looking when done. The other window looks like you either need to reroute the cable from the existing hole to match the other bullet window, or use surface mount contacts - magnet on the window, wired contact on the frame.

BTW, for the bullet, you will have to drill a complementary hole in the bottom of the window for the magnet. Might introduce weather issues and make sure there is enough meat for the magnet to be inserted (probably not an issue).

Regarding the three windows, no prob if you don't mind looking at all three to see which is open. But, since they are very proximate to each other, no prob that they will be considered one zone.

It might be due to the type of window constuction.

As David mentioned, window warranty and weather stripping issuses may come into play when you start drilling holes in the window for the magnet to be inserted.

You can always use epoxy to seal the magnet and switch bodies to the window frame, which should alleviate the weather concerns. do this only after you've tested everything thoroughly, though! Also, with the sensors at the bottom of the window, you will only have the option to have the window open or close completely.

In the second photo, you can wire the surface-mount switch and have a couple magnets on the window so that you could have the windows cracked open a couple inches and a second magnet could be used to still have the alarm engaged. If the window was then shut or opened any further, it would set off the alarm. This is good if you want some air, but don't open the window more than 5-6 inches because someone could squeeze through that space.

The only reason to have separate wires for each window would be if you want to discriminate between which one was open. For example, if you had two doors on the same circuit, you wouldn't know which door was actually opened because either one would trip the same zone. For your windows, I don't think this is a big deal, unless maybe the left windows is in a different room. It's up to you.

Ah yes, alarm wiring. A subject I am VERY familiar with as I recently went through all of this installing my security system in my prewired new home.

First thing you need to do is read and understand THIS (excellently written) How-to!

For the second picture in your post (where the wire is "drilled through" the bottom of the window frame) you should probably use the sensor/magnet pair circled in green in the attached picture below.

In your third picture you would need to use the sensor/magnet pair circled in red. This is an "external" sensor and is explained in that How-to. I don't agree with this as I don't see why they didn't drill through the bottom of the window frame as in your previous picture.

One thing to remember about where these sensors go in the window frame is you have to consider where/how to mount the magnet in the window itself. For instance I ran into a situation where a window track ran along the side of the window (attached via a cable) that made it impossible to mount any type of magnet on the window part (again, explained in the How-to). I would have preferred they drilled through the bottom and I made some kind of arrangement with a mount to have the magnet installed on the bottom part of the window itself since no moving parts were in that bottom section.

One thing to mention though, in that third picture, does that window slide up and down or is it stationary. The reason I mention this is if its stationary (i.e. doesn't open) perhaps some type of "glass break" sensor is supposed to go there. Also, watch when they install the drywall that they don't drywall right over that wire that goes through the 2X4. Take LOTS of pictures because you may have to locate that wiring behind the drywall.

You should also consider the placement of motion sensors, keypads, fire/smoke sensors, and glass break sensors as well and just have them "loop" the wire near a 2X4 so you can get to it later (for instance I had mine right above a set of light switches near my front and laundry room doors for my keypads). Remember that these require four wires (two for power and two for contact closure output).

Oh one other thing, make sure they drill through the door frames and run the wire through that frame itself. This may sound simple but in my case the guys that ran the wiring did so before any door frames were installed and it was left to the guys installing the door frames (enough said there) to drill through the frame and finish running the wire to where it would be accessible.

Good luck,

BSR

Attachments

• sensorout.JPG
    sensorout.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 23
BraveSirRobbin said:
One thing to remember about where these sensors go in the window frame is you have to consider where/how to mount the magnet in the window itself.
This is something I've been wondering about. It seems it would make more sense to use the outside sensor mount and not worry about having to drill through windows.
One thing to mention though, in that third picture, does that window slide up and down or is it stationary.
Not stationary. It slides up and down.
You should also consider the placement of motion sensors, keypads, fire/smoke sensors, and glass break sensors...
Odd, but none of these were pre-wired. The builder has a local alarm guy install the wiring and, after the house has been completed, the same alarm guy will come back and finish the install.
It's odd to me though, that he doesn't install wiring for keypads at this stage. The keypad wiring is done after the house is finished.

It seems it would make more sense to use the outside sensor mount and not worry about having to drill through windows.
Refer to my How-to. The inside mounts create a more hidden, professional look over the external mounts (samples of each are shown).

The builder has a local alarm guy install the wiring and, after the house has been completed, the same alarm guy will come back and finish the install.
It's odd to me though, that he doesn't install wiring for keypads at this stage. The keypad wiring is done after the house is finished.
Remember the builders interest is getting finished and he could care less how much work (or destruction) the alarm guy has to do to finish the job. I would recommend that at a minimum you have your alarm guy come out and see what he has to say now, before its to late.

So I take it that an alarm company will wire up all of your sensors and install your system? If so, make sure you get the admin security code in case you or another company, wants to make any changes in your system. (Maybe state that in your contract).

Back