Question about the ELK glass break sensor

RogueOne

Hi all, I am new here to this forum and am getting close to buying the M1 gold wireless alarm system.  I'm sure I will have a lot of questions but wanted to start with asking if any of you have experience with the ELK-6040 glass break sensor and if you believe it is worth having.  I have a sliding glass patio door that I was thinking might be good to protect.

Thanks

I don't have any personal experience with the Elk wireless glass break detector.  But it is a GE/Sentrol Shatterpro unit with an Elk wireless interface.  The Shatterpro design isn't the best unit out there.  But if you want wireless, your choices are limited.

There was some previous discussion about the Elk unit in this thread.

A better choice might be to go with the Honeywell wireless receiver on the Elk and the 5853 glass breaks.

I'm thinking about adding some glass-break detectors to my existing M1G system.  For ease, my thought was the Elk wireless sensors.  Can you quantify or at least explain why the Visonic devices are superior?  I would need some facts to justify the wiring effort.  In general I don't prefer wireless devices....  But new devices mounted on walls and/or ceilings on the first floor of a two story house doesn't sound like wiring fun.  Most of the Elk system wiring was inherited from my previous panel.  New wiring in the basement and attic (and in-between) is simple.  Getting new cables into some of the wall locations isn't easy.  But I guess they would at least be interior walls as to be 'facing' the windows.

RogueOne said:
That's a good price for the visonic. Can you use cat 5 to wire it to the panel?

You could use Cat5, as it can handle the current for the glass break.  My preference would be 22/4 cable.

ecborgoyn said:
I'm thinking about adding some glass-break detectors to my existing M1G system.  For ease, my thought was the Elk wireless sensors.  Can you quantify or at least explain why the Visonic devices are superior?  I would need some facts to justify the wiring effort.  In general I don't prefer wireless devices....  But new devices mounted on walls and/or ceilings on the first floor of a two story house doesn't sound like wiring fun.  Most of the Elk system wiring was inherited from my previous panel.  New wiring in the basement and attic (and in-between) is simple.  Getting new cables into some of the wall locations isn't easy.  But I guess they would at least be interior walls as to be 'facing' the windows.
The visonic units are self-adjusting and periodically do so. Some designs require a sensitivity adjustment and it's generally not an exact science. Absolutely hate the shatterbox and older Sentrol designs (false alarm issues).

Have used the Visonics for over 15 years with no real false alarm issues.

Thunderstorms, loud banging and noises (fireworks, cars backfiring, traffic accidents), banging and high pitched sounds. Dorm rooms with loud music or sounds. Have witnessed very loud dog barking/high pitched and birds/parrots cause falses before.

In my own house, even with Gtechs, my kids have set off them before (slamming closet door or banging very hard into the wall) but my house has all T&G pine board walls and ceilings, no sheetrock.

Possible. Remember, an active GBD uses a microphone to "hear" the protected glass. Blast anything loud enough to overwhelm it, it's likely to false.

Back