Radio Thermostat

Smarty

I am looking for a programmable, PC controllable thermostat that doesn't have to be "cloud connected".  The closest that I have found appears to be from Radio Thermostat:

(http://www.radiothermostat.com/latestnews.html#partners

On this page you can see that then even publish their API.

Does anyone have any experience with the CT80/CT50 with the wifi US snap module? Any experience with sending commands to it from a networked PC?  After the Tstat is set up is done, does it still need a pathway out to the cloud or can it stay safely behind the firewall?

I have had one of these for a couple of years - the 3M branded one, although I think its essentially the same unit. I have heard of issues with reliability in general but I have not had any problems with them. It lives happily behind my firewall, you don't need any special ports opened at all, it just needs the usual port 80 out, even during setup. I do think that it always needs that outbound connectivity though, I am not sure what would happen if it lost its connection to the cloud, or if 3M decided to shut down their servers. That is always the risk with these cloud connected devices.

I am using the beakerstat plugin for local homeseer connectivity, the latest version seems very stable. I don't do much with the homeseer integration, it pretty much just reports its status to HS and I show it on my quickview page. I have found myself using the iPhone app whenever I want to see its status, and to set the schedule. I do not manually override the schedule very often.

Back