Rain Gauge dead...

KBevo

Eric,

My HB rain gauge is not reporting after this mornings thunderstorm. The other sensors on the same 1 wire line (e.g. temp) are reporting and seem to be fine. Some questions:

1. Any (other) way to confirm the rain gauge is really dead?
2. Asuming it is dead, is there any (less expensive) way to just order the electronics or am I looking at the complete unit?
3. Any suggestions as to how to make my next rain gauge more lightning resistant? How do others avoid this problem?

Thanks
Gary

Eric,

My HB rain gauge is not reporting after this mornings thunderstorm. The other sensors on the same 1 wire line (e.g. temp) are reporting and seem to be fine. Some questions:

1. Any (other) way to confirm the rain gauge is really dead?
2. Asuming it is dead, is there any (less expensive) way to just order the electronics or am I looking at the complete unit?
3. Any suggestions as to how to make my next rain gauge more lightning resistant? How do others avoid this problem?

Thanks
Gary

Gary,

1. Not sure what software you are using but you can use the OneWireViewer that can be found here and see if the DS2423 shows up and is collecting counts.

2. If it is truly dead then it is very easy to replace just the electronics. The Rain Gauge has one of our Dual Counters in it under the blue cap.

3. There are a few designs out there on the Internet for limited lightning protection of the 1-Wire network. However for a close strike nothing can do much to help. Are you sure it was a lightning problem? It seems strange that only one device would have been taken out.

Eric

Not sure what software you are using but you can use the OneWireViewer...
Im using Michael McSharry's XAP 1Wire interface with Homeseer. It goes through your HB Master Hub, driving 4 circuits. I will download the latest viewer, remove the Rain Gauge so as to isolate it and see what it says.

If it is truly dead then it is very easy to replace just the electronics. The Rain Gauge has one of our Dual Counters in it under the blue cap.
I knew yours was different, so I assume I would order just the electronics from you?

Are you sure it was a lightning problem? It seems strange that only one device would have been taken out.
No, not sure at all but all my 1 Wire sensors stopped reporting this morning about 7:30 AM when the thunderstorms moving through produced several loud thunder bursts. The power light on the Master hub was either out (or VERY dim). I unpluged it and pluged it back in and it stayed lit for a few seconds then went dim again. I restarted the mcs1Wire driver and the hub lit up again and all the other sensors started reporting, even the ones on the same line as the rain gauge. So the empirical evidence points to a dead gauge, but I'm with you it does seem strange that nothing else, including the master hub was affected. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Gary

Well after working with the 1Wire network(s) much of yesterday the rain gauge started working again. So the logic of the situation prevailed. I believe, but don't know for sure, it came alive again after forcing the software to rediscover all sensors several times. Anyway, assuming the accuracy is still there all seems to be well with the rain gage.

I did notice another problem that I was not having before. I have two solar sensors. One in my pagoda that also has temp & humidity sensors and one outside (on top of) my pagoda. The one inside is reporting its readings periodically, however that reading is always a constant 13 (as determined by Michaels software). :) Same reading, night or day, since yesterday morning. Its not a big deal since I don't really do anything with that sensor, but it is kind of strange that it would routinely report, but report the same reading every time. The other two sensors in the combo are reporting accurately.

Thanks
Gary

PS: Just an FYI, I did get the software issues associated with my HB Relay controlling my HVAC dampers working. All is good and I very much appreciate all your (and Michael's) great tech support in getting all that up and running. Couldn't have done it with ya.

My HB rainwise gauge stopped reporting rain also but it shows up fine on the network.

Just went up and had a look inside it.
There was a pond inside with a bunch of crud and so the screen was plugged up. :)

Unplugged the screen and all's well again.

I've had two of the Sunlight sensors and found the lifetime of both to be rather short. One is still connected and in my case has delivered a constant reading since May. The DS2438 still communicates and delivers readings, but the readings are always the same.
My HB rainwise gauge stopped reporting rain also but it shows up fine on the network.

Just went up and had a look inside it.
There was a pond inside with a bunch of crud and so the screen was plugged up. :)

Unplugged the screen and all's well again.

Back