Random beeps from alarm panels

Here is my ELK log for recent month - on 3/3/2016 at 7:12AM  was the arm to stop the beeping.  You notice we have not used the alarm at all and no faults show up.

Thu 3/3/2016

21:20

1363 = REMOTE PROGRAMMING

Thu 3/3/2016

7:15

1174 = AREA DISARMED

FAMILY CODE (User 1)

Thu 3/3/2016

7:12

1173 = AREA ARMED

FAMILY CODE (User 1)

Tue 3/1/2016

8:00

1353 = DIALER AUTO TEST

Wed 2/24/2016

1353 = DIALER AUTO TEST

Thu 2/18/2016

1353 = DIALER AUTO TEST

Fri 2/12/2016

1353 = DIALER AUTO TEST

Sat 2/6/2016

12:39

1364 = REMOTE PROGRAMMING ENDS

Sat 2/6/2016

12:20

1300 = EXCEPTION OPENING

TONY (User 5)

Is there any entry in the log at this time?

There is one reference in the installation manual to three beeps like that. maybe it is a clue?

For changing a user code and/or name for codes which have been previously enabled by the
Installer. Only a Master code OR the installer code can access this menu. Press the RIGHT
arrow key to begin. Press UP or DOWN keys to locate a user, or enter 3 digits to jump. Press
RIGHT arrow key to view the existing code. To change, enter the new code digits and listen for 3
beeps to confirm.

No log entry at all.  In my previous post you can see the log from the yesterday morning event showing no event related entries.

Seems like changing a user code would give 3 beeps as an acknowledgment and not continue beeping for minutes.

Might be best to turn this over to engineering to see if they can identify the beep sequence.

The only other reference to 3 beeps that I can find online is on the phone auto answer function. the elk uses 3 beeps to communicate an acknowledgement over the phone line but I wouldn't expect it to beep at the keypad. You do have phone activity in your log though and maybe this is a clue.

Trouble condition, but since it's a NAV, it probably isn't going to show what's going on....I don't use them for a bunch of reasons unless specified by the end user.

@mike- it's not the answer function, that would be DTMF generated by the onboard modem.

The log pretty much gives it away in my mind, it seems like it's an issue with your CS programming or CS acknowledgement. How is the unit being monitored?

If it was a bus device, the panel would log it missing.

Engineering has me trying a few thingsto see if eliminates the issue. Downgraded the firmware a version, disabled the temperature sensor so the display doesn't refresh and erase possible messages, disable a few CO related rules.

Will run like this for a period of time to see if it worked. Went 2 months before between events so will give it at least 60 days.

I used to get occasional system restarts for no apparent reason and Elk had me roll back my firmware one version and it corrected the problem. That may be what he is thinking here.

Mike.

Just a followup - there have been no incidents of random beeps since I implemented all the suggestions from ELK engineering.  Not sure which of the 3 changes did the trick, but I consider it solved.  A thank you to  engineering at ELK.

bob4321 said:
Just a followup - there have been no incidents of random beeps since I implemented all the suggestions from ELK engineering.  Not sure which of the 3 changes did the trick, but I consider it solved.  A thank you to  engineering at ELK.
Just in case some other Elk owners have the problem, what did Elk engineering ask you to do?

Back