Raspberry Pi

dementeddigital

Are any of you using Raspberry Pi devices for HA or for other things (NAS, VOIP, webservers, etc.)?

Bitscope makes a nice series of boards which can accept one, two, or four Raspberry Pis to provide power for them. 

These provide a clean way to mount and power the Pis, and I thought that I'd pass it on.

http://my.bitscope.com/store/?p=list&a=list&i=cat+3

01.jpg

Looks very cool, I'll have to check it out. Looks like a better option than the 12V > 5V micro USB solution I was looking at (albeit more expensive)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

we're using one at a remote-ish cabin to monitor our satellite internet uplink's quota.
It's running Cacti to monitor via SNMP the Zyxel firewall ports and the various WIFI ports on an old apple extreme.
Additionally the firewall feeds the Pi's IP as the DNS server, and a package called Pi-Hole 'eats' requests for ad services. This helps cut the bandwidth.
the cabin is being slowly rennoed, and I hope to use a couple more Pis for dirt-simple automation; remote thermostat, camera uplink, etc.
ok back to the Festool ;)

at the main house there is a back-burnered plan to replace a mess of node.js on a 2012 Mini Server with a couple of Pis for integration of Vantage, Axis, and Elk stuff.

( cool power supply thingy )

I use one to view my IPcams on mybTV and run Unifi for my Ubiquiti devices.

I want to emulate a Wemo device to use one with Alexa.

I've been meaning to get a pi to set up some node servers for my ISY. I'll definitely be giving this a look

i have one serving as a zwave controller, dhcp server & mqtt server. another connected to one of our TVs for CEC control. and a 3rd as our public web server. also have a couple of beaglebone blacks currently unused and 4 CHIPs ( https://getchip.com/pages/chip ) waiting to be deployed.

Here using one RPi2 as a Z-Wave (GPIO card) controller and 1-Wire hub in the attic POE connected.  Another as a CumulusMX-Davis console server.

Recently been testing a Pine64/2Gb device.  This one is running Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit.  I like having the 2Gb RAM and built in RTC battery on it.

Recently set up a meeting display Kiosk using an RPi2 / 42" LCD mounted vertically.  Looks nice and runs well.

pete_c said:
Recently set up a meeting display Kiosk using an RPi2 / 42" LCD mounted vertically.  Looks nice and runs well.

That sounds like a fun project.

What software did you use?  Are there special software builds for that kind of thing?

What software did you use?  Are there special software builds for that kind of thing?

It's just a generic kiosk browser that displayed current days events and used the RPI Rasberian Wheezy OS.

It was a replicate of the internal company website daily events except that it was large and at the employee entrance.

KLC said:
I've been meaning to get a pi to set up some node servers for my ISY. I'll definitely be giving this a look
I currently use an RPi to run NodeLink tying my ISY994 to many MiLight LED bulbs and RGBWW strips, 2 x T7900 Venstar thermostats, and 5 Hue bulbs via ISYs Polyglot portal.

My RPi also stuffs my IP address into ISY variable to notify me if it changes to avoid use of unreliable DDNS services.

I just bought 2 RPi3 yesterday, as I setup a VM server in my house. I removed the one desktop in the first floor and put in an RPi loaded with the RPi thin client with RDP. Not totally done setting up the VMs yet, but I'm just using the RPi as a client so I can use the KVM upstairs as dumb terminals into that. Photoshop/Lightroom, MS-Office, whatever. I even velcro'ed the RPi to the back of the monitors so I could surrender more desk/shelf space for the wife's stuff. Pretty darn cool.

zQt5Wxzl.jpg

Very nice IVB.

Looking to do similar here with wife's computer / desktop footprint that is currently just a net top computer connected to a LCD monitor.

Here also still utilizing a Raritan 16 port KVM with a Java console window which works fine.

She still is using her little Samsung laser printer next to it. 

Concurrently here have built a mini office center out of a closet with three printers on the network.

IVB said:
I just bought 2 RPi3 yesterday, as I setup a VM server in my house. I removed the one desktop in the first floor and put in an RPi loaded with the RPi thin client with RDP. Not totally done setting up the VMs yet, but I'm just using the RPi as a client so I can use the KVM upstairs as dumb terminals into that. Photoshop/Lightroom, MS-Office, whatever. I even velcro'ed the RPi to the back of the monitors so I could surrender more desk/shelf space for the wife's stuff. Pretty darn cool.
IVB - how's the video and audio playback via the Pi and RDP?

Give me 24 hours to reply.  Started having video issues with the full screen RDP program, not sure why. The not-full-screen one seems fine. Haven't tried audio yet. I'm also going to see if I can connect a USB device to the RPi and pass through to the RDP VM. (ripping BluRays using a local drive would rock)

I am growing a little weary of the slow response time, this is a quad core but its 1.2GHz , and its $35 so I can't complain too much. Its adequate for basic work, though.

Here switched base HS3 lite from an RPi2 to testing on a Pine64/2Gb and Xi3A/Xi5 because it was starting to slow down.   The Pine64/2Gb makes a good Ubuntu 64 bit server base but not really seeing it much of a desktop base.  The Xi5 is using an SSD drive and has 2Gb of RAM.  (well purchased it for $60 which is well below what it originally sold for).

I turned the old RPi2 to a Z-Wave slave running Jessie.  I have thinned out the build removing anything that has to do with the desktop but it still abends after a bit of time.  (well less than a week).

Thinking the issues I am having are relating to a fat Jessie build and how much it's doing running Z-Wave.  I have currently disabled the Z-Wave piece and just running a 1-wire hub on it and it just keeps running fine without the Z-Wave piece.

The real test here for video and such was running KODI on the RPi2.  The performance was so so.  The RPi3 still only runs in 32 bit mode and the RPi Ubuntu build was too slow for me.

What worked better for me was running Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04-64 bit on the Pipo X7 mini computer with an Atom quad core bay trail and 2 Gb of memory.  I have one tacked on to the back of a touchscreen multitouch monitor.  The price is at around $100 for this device.  It does include a power supply, wireless and bluetooth and only HDMI out (which is fine for me).  IE: the price for an RPi3 still doesn't include a power supply or case.

I did not have these issues running Wheezy on the RPi2.  My Cumulus weather station has done fine and I never pay much attention to it.

I have an old single core ARM CPU (Seagate Dockstar - PogoPlug) running at 1.2Ghz using two SSD drives still doing just fine running Debian and my irrigation.  No video on this computer but it doesn't need it. 

Back