Real Time Rain sensor

roussell said:
Slightly off-topic, but since were talking level sensors; I thought I'd throw this in:

http://www.maxbotix.com/

For less that $30 you get a 1" x 1" ultrasonic sensor that outputs distance from 6-254 inches with 1 inch resolution in PWM, analog voltage, or 9600 baud serial.

It isn't water proof/resistant (yet, a more resistant version is coming), so you have to take precautions to keep it dry. I use short sections of PVC pipe and open-cell foam to protect it. I'm using them to measure the draft of coal barges off the coast of Colombia and they work great.

Terry
Hey Terry;

I received one of these units and they are pretty cool. I just quickly tested it at work using test clips and my laptop. The refresh rate is very fast (I think the spec is something like three times a second) and you don't even need to use the transmit line (using the serial interface) so you only need three wires to this device if you want to use automatic updates.

I beleive you could even use this as an (exterior) motion sensor that is immune to heat problems generated by the sun (big problem here in Las Vegas).

Will post more in a separate thread after I get some more time playing around with this (want to see if I can use this for salt level detection in my water softener).

Just wanted to thank you for the information lead. I believe $35 bucks shipped is a great deal for this!

Thanks again,

BSR

Hi BSR

Looking forward to your feedback on this .... I have just ordered a couple myself , but im hoping to use the analogue output and connect them to a pic micro and use xPL to retrieve the values......Thats the plan at this stage.....

Frank

FrankMc said:
Hi BSR

Looking forward to your feedback on this .... I have just ordered a couple myself , but im hoping to use the analogue output and connect them to a pic micro and use xPL to retrieve the values......Thats the plan at this stage.....

Frank
Hey roussell and FrankMc (and others interested).

I started a new thread discussing this ultrasonic range finder HERE so we can keep this original discussion on topic (real time rain sensor).

I listed all the original posts there (about this ultrasonic sensor) over at that thread as well for easy reference.

Thanks,

BSR

I did , but can't seem to find them. I just used come epoxy that I happened to have on hand though to stick them in the center of the PVC adapter, they're pretty light so it doesn't take much. For the one here a the house I used hot-glue and it worked just as well. I tree fell a couple of month ago and completely crushed that one so I need to re-build it...

Terry

Ok thanks. You have experienced the maxbotixs behave awkwardly that is it detects objects without any object present?

For those that want a canned software interface for the Maxbotic range finder there is an xAP connector at http://mcssprinklers.com/xapXap.htm The download contains a manual on how to setup the hardware and software. It has a browser UI and local scripting capabilty if extended customization is needed. There are signal processing options available and power control is also available via xAP messaging or script.

Back