Recomendation for Speaker on Elk M1g

dwalder

Guys what type of speaker would you recommend for Output #1 on the Elk for voice type stuff....

Maybe an elk speaker

or any other speaker that Martin would carry?

Thanks.

.D

I just use the Elk - 73

Works great for voice it's small and nice looking.

You can even paint it.

Don't really think there is a reason to go with a expensive speaker unless you want a different look.

BrianD or others....

The speaker that elk includes in the elk security package (I belive it is Elk -74 Echo Siren)

Should that only be used on output #2 for a siren or could it be used for output 1 for voice instead?

The Echo speaker, ELK-73, that comes with the M1GSYS4 kit is an 8 ohm general purpose speaker which can be used for voice and/or siren. It can be used on Output 1 or Output 2. The larger the speaker, generally, the more sound level output you will get. A 40 watt speaker like the ELK-SP40 will be alot louder by several db than the smaller ELK-73.

Sometimes the choice gets down to appearance and styling. A medium quality 20 watt or more ceiling or wall mount music speaker will work great also.

I use a double pole double throw relay to switch one of my ceiling mount music speakers to the M1 when it has some to say or siren activation. Write a RULE that triggers an Output that controls the DPDT Relay when the audio amplifier turns ON on the M1. When the M1 is finished, the DPDT Relay will switch the speaker back to the stereo system.

Spanky said:
I use a double pole double throw relay to switch one of my ceiling mount music speakers to the M1 when it has some to say or siren activation. Write a RULE that triggers an Output that controls the DPDT Relay when the audio amplifier turns ON on the M1. When the M1 is finished, the DPDT Relay will switch the speaker back to the stereo system.
I really like this idea. I have three rooms plus the living room that have speakers. Using this approach would work great. Then I could just add another ELK-73 where they didn't cover.

I'm not that clear on power and such, since I have say 4 pairs of speakers, I would insert 4 DPDT relays (ELK-924's?) hooked to the M1G and one path is going to the NC side and the other to the NO (one to the stereo system one to the elk)?

Any considerations for power or the like (drive this from output 1?)

I'm sure this is an easy one, I just don't know all the parameters that go into it..

I had missed that tidbit about a rule that lets the Elk switch its own relay. That makes it pretty reliable. I am going to add that to my to-do list. :p

You should only need one DPDT relay to switch all 4 speakers, unless you want to control the speakers separately for some reason. The NC (normally closed) contacts on the relay would go to your stereo/PC/whatever, the NO (normally open) would go to the Elk audio output (output 1) and the relay commons would go to your speakers.

In my case, the speakers are currently run separately to each room to 5-way posts behind the entertainment center. I was thinking 4 because since they are separately controlled now, wouldn't I need a relay for each if I was not to chain them back together again for the Elk?

Assuming I get that part straightened out, do I need to worry about power coming out of the Elk (is there an amp to add?)? I probably would be connecting 3 pairs of in wall 6 inch speakers, an Elk-73 or two, and then possibly something in the living room.

If this all works, it also I think paves the way for PC based multi-zone outputs (currently it is Harmon Kardon controlled, but I like the M-Audio and JRMC combinations that have been touted here and it offers true multi-zone).

Sorry, I missed that part about "pairs" of speakers in your post. If you are doing anything more than one group of mono speakers in an all-or-nothing arrangement (ie all elk or all background music/HA announcements) then you will probably need more than one relay. and if you want to do anything with zones (ie Elk announcements only in part of the house) then you will need multiple Elk outputs and multiple relays. But it still should be pretty straight forward.

Depending upon how many speakers you will probably want/need an amp on the Elk side of things and you will need to worry about speaker impedance. You cannot just hook up a ton of speakers in parallel to a solid-state amplifier. Depending upon what music equipment you already have to drive the speakers, you may just need the relays.

The amp I'm using is a HK one

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_suppor...jump=om&#active

Unfortunately due to the keypads I used (HK) the amp is set to respond to the keypads based on switches in the back (keypads connected via cat5). As such I don't think I can use it to drive the elk on demand unless the speakers are already on.

Thats why the multi-zone mentioned with m-audio looked interesting. I wish I had done it differently now, but it does work.

I'll have to do more research as those speakers cover the whole first floor so it would be nice to tie them in (as opposed to putting new ones in as well).

Back