Recommendations and window problem

shagymoe

I'd like some advice or recommendations on building my own security system.

I've got 13 windows and 3 doors to monitor. I have to go wireless due to the difficulty in wiring my house.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1- Controller
1- Keypad
1- Transformer
1- 5Ah Battery
2 - Interior Speakers
1- Exterior Speaker
1- RJ31X Telco Jack & Cord
1- 12" x 12" Metal Enclosure
1 - Wireless Receiver
16 - Wireless Window/Door Sensors
3 - Indoor Wireless Motion Detectors
2 - Outside/Wired Motion Detector/Security Lights (not necessarily integrated into the system...can be home depot style)

I figure the motion detectors are required because it would be easy to just break any window and not trip the window sensor.

I honestly am not into home automation (though it would be nice), I'm just trying to build a security system. Here are some features I would like:

1) Ability to use nextalarm monitoring.
2) Ability to call 4+ different phone numbers when an event happens.
3) Broadband connectivity to send text messages to 4+ phones. (To guard against cutting the phone line).

I'd really, really like to keep this under $800, if possible. I'm a systems administrator (computer guy) and a programmer on the side. I've never paid anyone to work on my house, cars, motorcycles or anything electronic, so I think I'm capable of doing this myself. :(

What I'd really like are your recommendations on what would be an adequate system that doesn't need all the bells and whistles in order to keep the costs down. The geek in me keeps coming back to the Elk systems but the cost would be $1400+ and I'd really, REALLY like to keep the price under $1000 ($500 would be great! LOL)

So, what would be your recommendations on a setup with these components, but the minimal functionality in order to keep the costs down.

Also, I have sliding windows (vertical and horizontal) where either pane of the window can be slid to open the window. Is there a suggested way to deal with this? I can't put it on one side or the other because they could just open the other side.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Shagymoe

I'd like some advice or recommendations on building my own security system.

I've got 13 windows and 3 doors to monitor. I have to go wireless due to the difficulty in wiring my house.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1- Controller
1- Keypad
1- Transformer
1- 5Ah Battery
2 - Interior Speakers
1- Exterior Speaker
1- RJ31X Telco Jack & Cord
1- 12" x 12" Metal Enclosure
1 - Wireless Receiver
16 - Wireless Window/Door Sensors
3 - Indoor Wireless Motion Detectors
2 - Outside/Wired Motion Detector/Security Lights (not necessarily integrated into the system...can be home depot style)

I figure the motion detectors are required because it would be easy to just break any window and not trip the window sensor.

I honestly am not into home automation (though it would be nice), I'm just trying to build a security system. Here are some features I would like:

1) Ability to use nextalarm monitoring.
2) Ability to call 4+ different phone numbers when an event happens.
3) Broadband connectivity to send text messages to 4+ phones. (To guard against cutting the phone line).

I'd really, really like to keep this under $800, if possible. I'm a systems administrator (computer guy) and a programmer on the side. I've never paid anyone to work on my house, cars, motorcycles or anything electronic, so I think I'm capable of doing this myself. :(

What I'd really like are your recommendations on what would be an adequate system that doesn't need all the bells and whistles in order to keep the costs down. The geek in me keeps coming back to the Elk systems but the cost would be $1400+ and I'd really, REALLY like to keep the price under $1000 ($500 would be great! LOL)

So, what would be your recommendations on a setup with these components, but the minimal functionality in order to keep the costs down.

Also, I have sliding windows (vertical and horizontal) where either pane of the window can be slid to open the window. Is there a suggested way to deal with this? I can't put it on one side or the other because they could just open the other side.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Shagymoe

I would suggest the ELK along with a couple (3-4) strategically placed motion sensors inside common areas (ie. hallways, entry rooms).

As a police officer I worked a burglary once where the homeowner installed a siren to a motion sensor in a hallway. The burglar kicked in the back door and proceeded to the bedroom (jewelry) through the hallway where he activated the motion sensor, in turn activating a 130 db siren (which was still going off as I arrived). Needless to say, the burglar fled without any loot. I can tell you that the racket of the siren was so unnerving that the burglar couldn't do anything but flee. The homeowner was out the repair cost of the door repair but considering he could have lost much more. You could actually do the same with the ELK where it would notify you in the event that a motion was activated. To keep the cost down I wouldn't install window or door sensors until the funds were available.

Hope I was able to help ya.

Welcome to CocoonTech Shagy!

Honestly I think alot of your cost is going to be in your wireless sensors regardless of what you do for a controller. You're at almost $800 just for the wireless contacts/motions. I would like to see you in maybe an Elk EZ8 with either the Elk wireless or Caddx 548 board, but your're looking at another $450-$500 for that. You could get a straight Caddx system probably a little less, but like I said, most of your cost is in all those sensors regardless of your controller. You could just start with motions as mentioned, but I prefer perimeter security as a first measure. I would definitely stick with a good controller like Elk or Caddx if you're going to be monitored. Trying to do it with something else is just not worth it.

Well, here is the cost breakdown...

1- Controller ($355 for ELK-M1EZ8KB)
1- Keypad (Included)
1- Transformer (Included)
1- 5Ah Battery (Included)
2 - Interior Speakers (1 Included )
1- Exterior Speaker ()
1- RJ31X Telco Jack & Cord (Included)
1- 12" x 12" Metal Enclosure (Included)
1 - Wireless Receiver ($72 for the NX548E or $129 for the ELK-M1XRF2G)
16 - Wireless Window/Door Sensors ($35/each for the NX650 compatible with the ELK or
3 - Indoor Wireless Motion Detectors ($110/each for GE 60-511-01-95R - ITI Wireless DS 924)
2 - Outside/Wired Motion Detector/Security Lights (not necessarily integrated into the system...can be home depot style) ($60??)

So, the cost is around $1500. If I only go with the motion detectors, the cost is $925.

Questions....
1) Is is possible to hook up two NX548E units for coverage?
2) Anybody know if the NX481 sensors are compatible with the ELK-M1XRF2G? (Don't think so...but they are compatible with the NX548E right?)
3) Is the NX650 compatible with the NX548E? If not, what would be the appropriate sensor?
4) Is the 60-670-95R door/window sensor compatible with the NX548E?

Questions....
1) Is is possible to hook up two NX548E units for coverage?
2) Anybody know if the NX481 sensors are compatible with the ELK-M1XRF2G? (Don't think so...but they are compatible with the NX548E right?)
3) Is the NX650 compatible with the NX548E? If not, what would be the appropriate sensor?
4) Is the 60-670-95R door/window sensor compatible with the NX548E?
1. I don't think so, but you can with the Elk receiver.
2. Its a little gray. Elk recommends to use crystal based transmitters because the SAW transmitter can vary out of the band of the receiver. The real answer is that yes, the 481 and other SAW transmitters will probably work (mine do), but they are not recommended. My personal feeling is if you are going to depend on it for security use only crystal devices witht the RFG2. For HA use SAW should be ok, even if a signal is missed occasionally. In your case for security I would use the 60-703-95 instead of the NX481. They should be ok with the 548 because from my understanding has a wider band.
3. It should be
4. The 60-670-95R is the NX-450 which is SAW based. It should work with the 548. The NX-650 is the same but crystal based and smaller and is the one I use.

Also, I would call Automated Outlet. Buying that quantity of transmitters, etc I'm sure they would offer you at least a quantity discount. Tell them you were referred by CocoonTech.

Thanks for all the help!!

Any recommendations on sirens/speakers compatible with the ELK-M1EZ8KB? I'd like a couple of loud ones inside an one outside.

Thanks,

Shagymoe

Also, what do I need to hook up a horn/speaker/siren/whatever. I'm assuming that if you want a really loud one, you'll need some kind of amplifier right?

Can you hook up more than one without needing something extra? (Like an expansion board?)

Thanks,

Shagymoe

Open up MS paint or whatever and draw an overview of your home.

Make sure and note number of floors, attic accesses and crawlspaces. From there we can help you much more.

It seems you are tring to save some dough and going all wireless is not the way to do it. It should only really be used as a last resort.

Me personally, I would rather redo my baseboards or add crown moulding before I installed wireless door switches.

I like the Piezo screamers. They are very low current so you can use several of them and they are so loud and annoying they will almost make your ears bleed. There are several out there, but I use the Moose MPI-47C. You may want a more traditional siren for Outdoors.

Back