Recommendations for a newb

JJGood

Hello!

I'm a writer living in New York and working on a piece about home automation. I'd love to know:

1) What are your favorite a la carte products (e.g. Nest thermostat, Roomba, super cool apps, etc.)?

and

2) What upcoming product releases are you most looking forward to?

Additionally, if any of you live in New York, I'd love to talk to you about the best local sources for home automation gadgets, and if you've got your place tricked out and synced up, I'd love to see it!

Thanks so much y'all,

Jillian

hi Jillian,

Welcome to CocoonTech :)

Where in NY are you?

As for favorite products, that's a tricky one! Here are some of the most popular software and hardware components in the DIY Home Automation space:
  • Hardware controllers: ELK M1, HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Arduino based projects
  • Software controllers (requires a dedicated PC): HomeSeer, CQC, Elve, Premise, MainLobby (see my signature link for a complete list)
Both these software and hardware solutions allow us to interface HVAC, Security, Home Theater, Irrigation and more.

Personally, my favorite gadgets are my Z-Wave enabled door lock, which allows me to integrate my front door security within my home automation setup, and my CCTV setup.

If you have any questions about the site, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Good point! I am in NYC, and am definitely focusing on apartment-friendly gadgets. No garage door openers or sprinkler systems needed!

If I were tricking out a NYC apartment, I'd start with a MiCasaVerde Vera, a Z-Wave door lock, possibly a peephole camera, some z-wave light modules for the lamps, and a z-wave thermostat if the apartment has HVAC. Then you'd have a single app to control everything - you wouldn't even need to carry keys. If you have a place with an intercom to buzz people in, I'd also hook that into some sort of device so I could answer and open the door from my smartphone - then you could buzz people in and even unlock your door for them.

I agree with the Zwave door locks being great fun. Maybe i am old enough that these little things entertain me, but there is something about having doors lock themselves whenever the exit delay expires and the system calling me if something fails to lock properly.

The Mrs has been pretty neutral when it comes to our home automation until i mentioned last week that the clothes dryer could send her an email when it finished. That seemed to get her attention.

Work2Play--don't forget your custom Halloween spooky door bell messages

Thanks for the tips everyone! Are there any other gadgets you could recommend? Things that don't necessarily modify something existing in my home but have an automation component, like a motion-activated coffee maker (does such a thing exist?) or a Roomba?

Home automation does not have to be about complicated panels and setup and expensive contracters making home visits - search for Think Automaitc on Kickstarter and peruse the project that I am involved with. It starts with a light switch called the luminode and it is a direct replacement for your dimmers. We tried to work with insteon and z-wave but they are missing just a few key features which are described in our faq. Check it out and simplify instead of complicate you home automation experience. We using xml to create an open protocol and already play with insteon and some home security panels!

Since zordane typo'd his product, here's the link: http://www.kickstart...e-te?ref=live

That said, there's probably a better place for this post, as the OP in this particular thread has already stated he's looking for more novelty styled automation - things that someone can buy off the shelf and not have to "install".

Back