Recommendations for CO Carbon Monoxide detectors

newalarm

So I need to replace our Carbon Monoxide detectors. It has been six years and they are expired and forcing me to replace. I installed originally CO1224T sensors by System Sensor. Are these still a good choice or are there better options out there?

Thanks.

So I picked up the same ss CO1224T units that i had before. The upside is that wiring was a super quick; i was done in 20 or so minutes for all three. 

Also, the original units lasted 6 years. The new units last 10 years. Nice bonus since they are not cheap. I sent email to System Sensor to see if the old one's can be sent back to be fixed/upgraded.

Had a problem with one unit that had a stripped terminal. I sent email to them about procedure for replacing. Or I could see if I can simply put bigger screw in there?

Probably they cannot be repaired.  Think of it like this, the shipping there and back will cost money.  The sensors are probably made in China, so they don't actually have parts in the country.  Could they import them?  Sure, but then they need to pay someone to receive the package, have a system in place to track the repair, have someone repair them, pack them up and give them back to the shipping department.  By the time all that was done, if would be cheaper and easier to just buy new ones.

Mobiles phones cost hundreds of dollars and they are viewed as disposable items.  Where do you think that leaves a $40 to $50 sensor?

What would be better is to make them modular and allow the housing to be reused and new internals put in.  Then they could just make the internals as a part that can be ordered.  Chances are, alarm people would rather just pull a new one out of the box.  By the time they bill for labor and the sensor, you're nearing the price of a new sensor.

Good point. I thought I would ask them anyway. never hurts. Though now that they are 10 years, most likely, the housing will yellow over time anyway. I emailed them the questions and have not heard back yet.

Back