Recommendations needed for Termination

Hi Photon,

Thanks for your contributions, I will seriously investigate 66 blocks as wel. They also appear to be a cheaper option.

On a 66 block i would think that if i terminate all the field on the 4th column and al the wires coming from the M1 on the 1st column i can then put bridging clips in for all correct? There's no real reason why the left and right shouldnt line up, at least not iniatally (untill the inevitable changes). Ofcourse this would mean i'm using twice the amount of pairs.

For needing about 50 pairs (100 wires) to be cross connect it seems i would need 2 'Split M' blocks and 100 clips. http://cableorganizer.com/leviton/wiring-s...ock-50-pair.htm

I wouldnt not expect too much to change on the field wiring side. With the 110 solution i woudl leave off any unused C4 clips, worst case not al wires of a C4 would be used and i have to skip a few rows and use the new C4 connector when i have to add something later.

Choices, choices, choices... fun stuff to think about though

You point about using only female punchdown keystones for LAN is well taken...i was planning this in general for my LAN connections (keystone at the wall and 19" Cat5/6 modules rack with 110 punchdowns at the wall mount rack). I may try to make my own Patch cables though since within the ELK can and other places i want to cable lenght to be close to right so there's no excess.

look at that - you're catching on to all this stuff pretty quickly! You're exactly right about your assessment of the 66 blocks, and about handling the 110's lack of changeability by skipping a pair once in a while.

look at that - you're catching on to all this stuff pretty quickly! You're exactly right about your assessment of the 66 blocks, and about handling the 110's lack of changeability by skipping a pair once in a while.

Thanks, I'm an engineering consultant for a living. On a daily basis i have to learn new concepts varrying from structural engineering of massive buildings to computer networking and eveything in between. I love to learn new stuff.

Now i'm torn between the 66 and 110...considering the price and flexibility i'm leaning towards the 66 now. The only thing 110 has going for it is it's 'neatness'.

Where would i pick this kind of stuff up locally? Does a Grainger like shop carry this kind of stuff? I'd like to go and physically look at one.

I've seen 66 blocks at Home Depot. I don't know where you could find 110 blocks locally unless you have a Graybar in town.

If you decide to use 66 blocks, remember to get the accessories. The 89D bracket spaces the block up from the mounting plane, thus providing a path under the block through which to route the cables. I really like the clear plastic covers because they keep stray conductors away from the contacts, and also because they provide a really easy way to label the block. I made a spreadsheet that matched the block, and I even color coded one with repeating Blue-Orange-Green-Brown cells where I ran tie-lines to another panel in the garage attic with Cat5e cables. I got my blocks and accessories from TS Electronic: https://www.tselectronic.com/premise_wire/66m150.html

Here is an early shot of work in progress. You can see the three 66-blocks across the top of the backboard.
IMG_4952.JPG

Yes, I took this shot early in the life of this project. I have added a bunch of devices, but there is a long way to go. I was in an auto crash which set me back a year or more. I also focused on outdoor projects during our two months of summer weather. The blocks will still look pretty empty when I finish phase one as I planned for expansion space on the blocks. I think my phase one consists of about 40 devices spread across the three blocks.

On a 66 block i would think that if i terminate all the field on the 4th column and al the wires coming from the M1 on the 1st column i can then put bridging clips in for all correct?

On my 66 blocks, I terminated the field on the 1st column, then corrosponsing wires to the Elk on the 2nd column. I then could terminate more field wires on the 4th column, and corrosponding wires to the Elk on the 3rd column. This allows you to get twice as much use out of one 66 block. :)

On a 66 block i would think that if i terminate all the field on the 4th column and al the wires coming from the M1 on the 1st column i can then put bridging clips in for all correct?

On my 66 blocks, I terminated the field on the 1st column, then corrosponsing wires to the Elk on the 2nd column. I then could terminate more field wires on the 4th column, and corrosponding wires to the Elk on the 3rd column. This allows you to get twice as much use out of one 66 block. :)

Yes you get more space by using them this way but if you had to change things someday (I know that NEVER happens) you also could replace specific clips with jumper wires and be able to jump between the top and bottom of the block (or anywhere in between...)

Back