Recommended camera for monitoring new house build?

JimS

About to start build of a house on a vacant city lot.  A neighbor across the street has an upper window that has a good view of the lot so I am thinking I will ask him if I can put a camera in the window with a view of the construction.  We are going to hire most of the work out serving as our own general contractor.  Would be nice to be able to see what is happening without having to be there.  Seems like a good thing for security too. 

Any recommendations on cameras?  Security of the data stream isn't a big concern (should it be?).  Thinking it should be a stand along camera that doesn't need much else for support as it will be on their network.  Probably wifi would be easiest. 

Any suggestions for cameras?  Even if I go with something completely different when I set up a permanent camera system I figure a modest camera will be worth it.  If I could get a time lapse photo capture that would be a cool thing but not really required.  Having storage of at least 24 hours and preferably a little more would be a huge plus.

A friend has a Blink camera from Amazon and likes it but I am not familiar with them.

Nothing like personal inspections with plans per each piece or endeavor of your home build.

IE: after escavation and before footings inspect, then after footings inspect, then plumbing/sewers, et al.

With a camera at that distance you can see progression but really not that much stuff.

Did a major extension of an underground server room and I had to micromanage some for plumbing and electric stuff and did use 2 Panasonic PT cameras to watch progression when I was not available traveling.

New home build in FL, one roofer feel off the roof, broke his leg and no construction happened for two weeks.  Got PO'd here at the GC.  I was doing weekly check ups flying down there from the Midwest almost every weekend.

Wyse 1080p for $26 on amazon.com. I have three and would trade them for my Dahua $250 in a heartbeat. Simple and reliable. I painted mine black so they aren't so obvious. 

Don;t tell the contractors you are watching unless there is some point.

LarrylLix said:
Wyse 1080p for $26 on amazon.com. I have three and would trade them for my Dahua $250 in a heartbeat. Simple and reliable. I painted mine black so they aren't so obvious. 

Don;t tell the contractors you are watching unless there is some point.
Got a link?  I looked and it wasn't immediately obvious which ones you are referring to.

Pete,  I don't intend to just do the camera.  I still plan to inspect things.  This is just supplemental.  I have a job and am not going to be there all the time.

Just go to amazon and do a search. Dont get the v2 with pan etc..reports are bad on them. There is only one. The app handles four and they have now added human movement alerts.I you put a 32GB microSD card in them you can review motion or sounds for weeks back.

My three cams stream continuously to the app. Mine are set up to only report people motion detected, This feature was just added . AFAIK they record continuously, depending on the options selected.

Running the app last night it firmware updated all three remotely. They added some faster connect routines. That is about the fourth update since I have owned them in about a year.

You can now purchase outdoor PT 1-2 MP wireless smart cams now on Ebay for $35.

USA 1080P HD CCTV IP Camera Waterproof Outdoor WiFi PTZ Security Wireless IR Cam

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1257]

This is the specification of my camera. You can have a look. I don't know if it is the one you need.
image Sensor : 1/3 megapixel CMOS
Minimum illumination: Color 0.6LUX F1.2 Black and White 0.08LUX F1.2,0 LUX Infrared On day and night: IR-CUT dual filter automatic switching
Lens : 3.6mm million HD lens
Video compression : H2.64, dual-stream support
video: HD/SD
image size: Main stream 1920X1080; Substream: 640X480:
Resolution : 1080P: 2 million pixels
Frame rate: 25 frames
Audio coding : G726.G711, ACC.MP3 format, 8K sample rate, echo cancellation
Audio input : Built-in MIC
Audio output : Built-in speaker
Standby : Built-in MCU, support true standby function, support infrared, button, GP10 alarm wake up the main system;
wireless network : 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
storage: Supports Micro SD card up to 64G
Smart alarm : PIR infrared sensor alarm, sensing distance 10 meters
Infrared light : 8 infrared lamps, wavelength 850m, effective distance 10 meters
battery : 18650 lithium polymer battery
Standby : 6 months, pure standby power consumption
Power consumption : 0.75M (work) 0.0025M (standby)
working environment : -1QX~6Q*C~MQT~6Q*C~ 

One thing I'd be careful of in selecting something to use from across the street would be image size.  I don't have any experience with these type cameras, but I sense they have an extreme wide angle of view.  Shooting from a house across the street might show your subject so small as not be be visually helpful.

In the old film days, we would have wanted the ability to zoom the lens out so as to fill the frame with a good sharp image of the area we wanted to be able to see clearly.

LarrylLix said:

the black ones will be back temporarily on wyze.com

L I M I T E D  E D I T I O N
Wyze Cam Black
It's back.
12 AM EST (9 PM PST)
November 29

LarrylLix said:
My three cams stream continuously to the app. Mine are set up to only report people motion detected, This feature was just added . 

got an email from wyze that says the people detection is going away, but they are working on their own implementation. details here

damage said:
got an email from wyze that says the people detection is going away, but they are working on their own implementation. details here
I got that too. Sad because it was such a nice feature but the end result might be abetter feature, being self contained and not some other third party watching your video stream.

damage said:
the black ones will be back temporarily on wyze.com

L I M I T E D  E D I T I O N
Wyze Cam Black
It's back.
12 AM EST (9 PM PST)
November 29
I can only get bounced to dell.com from that link. Maybe not available from Canada IP addresses? I bought my from amazon.ca.

Back