Recommended IR automation for CQC

Mike

I was starting to look at CQC to evaluate it. For IR integration of equipment that is not controlled via serial port, is there a 'recommended' tool? I notice that several are offered (global cache, some from Europe, etc), and was curious on what is 'typical' in this case.

I do utilize a zoned xantech system currently if that has an impact on the question.

-Mike

Caveat: I ripped IR control out of my system so I no longer do it, but the 2 primary options I know of are:
- USBUIRT
- R2DI PCI card. Here's a thread on it.

That R2DI PCI card is pretty nice if expensive - looks like it has mzone capability, and can sit inside your PC with just the xmitter wires hanging out running to your equipment. If I ever do IR control again, that's what I'd focus my research on.

Thank you. Question though, I have a xantech zoned system already, I noticed Global Cache required a $50 cable to connect with Xantech. Would anyone know if this piece of equipment requires it?

I could then utilize my existing wiring and pipe it into the Xantech setup.

Very interesting. Looks like the protocal for communicating is fully documented and there are actually a few versions (internal, external) and has support for rs-232, usb, pci and ethernet.

You would just plug the R2DI zone outputs into your Xantech block I assume. I wold think it would only require cheap standard cables to do that. The R2DI isn't an end user device per se. They don't make them for sell in general, they just make them upon requiest, mostly for specialized applications. I talked DC into buying a chunk of them for sale. It would be a good choice for your needs I think. It basically has the same type of capabiltiies as the GC's IR, in that each zone can be a blaster zone or light sensor zone, but it has the advantage of being internal and probably costing a bit less.

ph0n33z said:
IVB: Why did you get rid of your IR control? What did you replace it with?
I went with all RS232 devices for outbound control. I haven't yet found something worth controlling via an automation system that's IR only. Sure, there's some stuff that's IR [ie my TV], but my entirely personal preference is to not use a stateless mechanism such as IR for device control - i'd rather do that manually.

For inbound receipt of user button pushes/desired actions: Wife decided that in the HomeTheater, using a BlueTooth mouse was just faster and more efficient. We have an MX850, but it's now used just to turn TV on/off, and to directly control the Denon3805 volume. That's not done via CQC as there's no real point - i taped the MRF300 xmitter directly to the Denon receiver.

For the non-HT rooms, we're using the 3400's. Basically a keypad replacement concept, as we didn't want dang remotes all over the house or have to schlep to a given room to get a remote.

We've got
- 1 wallmounted in the kitchen, now hardwired so not removable
- 1 with wifi in the MBR
- potentially 1 in the living room more near the front door

Yeh, I'm IR'less these days also. As long as devices have all the required discretes, IR control can be made reasonably good. But there's nothing like having two way control over everything, and also getting rid of various wall warts, wires and widgets from the system. Previously I had a D-Theater deck and DVD player that were IR only, so I was using the R2DI with two zones configured to blaster to those devices and two zones configured to sense the power LEDs so that I could tell if they were on or not. But I sold the D-Theater deck and replaced the DVD player with a Sony 777ES changer, which is serially controllable.

Hi Mike

Have you got a link to the specs on the xantech zoned system ???

The USBUIRT is a 5v ir system and i believe the xantech system is 9v..Not sure what the tx voltage is on the Boards Dean is referring to....The usbuirt also has an ir receiver for learning......Not sure though how you would direct the tx signal to a specfic zone at this stage ........Im sure i seen an interface somewhere for the USBUIRT to xantech..

In my setup my kit is 99% ir TX + RX zoned controlled and it works no problems..BUT i had to develope some hardware to ensure my tv,s dvd player etc were in sync with my HA controller as far as ON/OFF status goes...so all kit has a Video / Led probe to monitor the status......

So although rs232 is the ideal transport medium , it is still possible to have a reliable system controlled by ir....

Also in my setup my Probe system can also monitor room temp sensors...so a cat5 from each room can monitor the staus of 6 devices. including the temp sensors........

HTH
Frank

FrankMc said:
Hi Mike

Have you got a link to the specs on the xantech zoned system ???

The USBUIRT is a 5v ir system and i believe the xantech system is 9v..Not sure what the tx voltage is on the Boards Dean is referring to....The usbuirt also has an ir receiver for learning......Not sure though how you would direct the tx signal to a specfic zone at this stage ........Im sure i seen an interface somewhere for the USBUIRT to xantech..

In my setup my kit is 99% ir TX + RX zoned controlled and it works no problems..BUT i had to develope some hardware to ensure my tv,s dvd player etc were in sync with my HA controller as far as ON/OFF status goes...so all kit has a Video / Led probe to monitor the status......

So although rs232 is the ideal transport medium , it is still possible to have a reliable system controlled by ir....

Also in my setup my Probe system can also monitor room temp sensors...so a cat5 from each room can monitor the staus of 6 devices. including the temp sensors........

HTH
Frank
Great point, I've had to deal with that when getting distribution amplifiers (channel plus):

http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_79520.htm

It is 12v.

If it has a link to Xantech, it seems that might make sense to take a closer look, as I believe that one is compatible with Sage (if I went down that path as well).

I'm trying to understand what I would need, it is looking like:

1. Some IR component (two if one is not compatible with Sage, although I could get away with just using standard cable. I use a HD box and do svideo out into the tuner currently, for subsequent tuners I would probably just pipe coax in. If this is too complicated I may just test what normal output looks like (I suspect a big difference).
2. TheaterTek with decoder and IP support (no advanced audio, SPDIF output from the PC. Alternative is ZoomPlayer but it seems TheaterTek is the recommended one.
3. CQC Full package
4. Sage

Ideal additions:
Denon 3805 (removes IR control, but I suspect will wait, had my eye on these awhile though)
Sony DVP-CX777ES (proper control of DVD's for non hd based video, future addition)
Fujitsu 3400 (I have a feeling if I get anything remotely working one of these will be on order).

I already have a media pc that could run this during testing, worst case using another computer to split things up. Tuner cards I have, XEP for the elk. Guess I am starting to run out of excuses...

un-wired said:
http://www.innotechsystems.com/spitfire6001.htm

Thye just sent me a promo of the spitfire3, the spitfire2 is discontinued, but it's a PC serial port controlled universal learning remote, i'm sure CQC would have no problems with it.

(I will be posting about the promo unit I have on my desk, which I just discussed in another thread)
Interesting. Hadn't seen that one before. I'll have to read more.

Hi Mike

It appears that the xantech kit is 12v......Not sure what voltage / configuration the card that Dean refers is.....if it worked it would be ideal as it also is a 4 zone job ,but i get the feeling you may need some sort of interface to get it to work with the xantech kit......

Frank

Addressing the connection to the Xantech system issue...

I distribute IR using a wired Xantech system (wired for 3 zones, but the max I've used is 2 and 1 is disabled right now (intentionally)). I have HomeSeer and a USB-UIRT connected to the system.

Initially, I was planning on using an optoisolator system to connect the USB-UIRT to the Xantech system. I ended up doing something different - partly because I had the parts on hand and partly because I wanted to maintain easy manual control (using hand held remotes).

I use standard Xantech IR receivers (291-10 Hidden Links) at various locations all on zone 1 (I had one on zone 2 also, but I took it to use on zone 1. That's why zone 2 is disabled). One of these is near the computer. I use two standard "mouse" emitters plugged into the USB-UIRT and attached to the front of the 291-10s. These essentially become optoisolators. This setup is more expensive, but it allows me to use a standard remote in the same room (without going through the computer) - I don't always need everything automated ;) .

Back