Reminder: CQC Webex this Sunday 8:30am PST

I too downloaded the software and I having problem getting it to control x10 lights. I loaded the smarthome 1132u driver and could connect to it. When I go to the client driver and click add, I see the 1132u driver and can load it. I am then presented with the x10 configure page that shows house codes A-P and unit codes 1-16 (except 10-16 are given as L0-L6). On the bottom of page you have All units off, All lights off, All lights off and Configure. All lights off/on did turn the lights on and off. When I select Configure, I get a page where you set up the individual lights (like bedroom Light :A5) but they are all gray out and I cannot do anything there. I also cannot close the page unles I remove the driver. If I exit without removing the driver and reopen the admin interface I get the message "The CQCserver for this driver is not availabe" I must be doing something wrong. I am using 1.7.19 version of the software. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Acoba: best to put this on the CQC forum. The X10 folks, at least the one I know of most, doesn't come here that often. The CQC site has been very busy in the last 3-4 months, takes a few hours/day to just keep current there...

ok, at this point i believe i've sent the logistics to everyone. Please let me know if you didn't get that and i'll resend.

Looks to be about 21 folks!

See you on Sunday.

All lights off/on did turn the lights on and off. When I select Configure, I get a page where you set up the individual lights (like bedroom Light :A5) but they are all gray out and I cannot do anything there. I also cannot close the page unles I remove the driver. If I exit without removing the driver and reopen the admin interface I get the message "The CQCserver for this driver is not availabe" I must be doing something wrong. I am using 1.7.19 version of the software. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, someone reported a couple days ago that the X-10 client interface had gotten whacked somehow in the 2.0 beta. But I wasn't going to look into that until tomorrow.

I haven't actually even confirmed that there's anything wrong yet. You configure the items by right clicking on them (and I thought that the default text in them indicated that you should do this, but if it's really messed up somehow then it might not be.) Have you tried right clicking in one of the items?

OK, what happened was that in 2.0 our static text window control (we have our own custom windows and don't use the Windows windows) got removed and replaced with a read only entry field instead. However, in the process, the behavior where a static control sends its parent a notification when it is clicked on got lost. So the parent window wasn't seeing the clicks to pop up the menu.

As to not being able to close the window, I think you were confusing an MDI child frame window a dialog box. The driver client windows are MDI frames and stay open. They are not modal dialogs so they don't stop you from anything else.

For those of you who will be calling in: I'll be starting off spending 10-15 mins with section 1 of this document. Those of you who can't be on this call can read through that. the quality of the PDF is pretty crappy, it's my first attempt at doing one and I used a free PDFWriter. It'll get better over time. The only thing you'll miss is the live demo, plus the walkthrough of my screens. Dean's video tutorials really will help blunt the impact of that, though.

And, I had something like 10 more requests yesterday, but we've only got space for 25. If my work life doesn't suck, i'll see if I can do another one next weekend.

Thanks to all who attended, how would you suggest changing things to make this a better use of your time or an effective presentation?

I.E.,
Too long? Too short?
was the content too much? Too little?
Was the content too high level? Too detailed?
was my speed too fast? too slow? (of course, once the coffee kicked in for us left-coasters)
did my pace match the speed of the connection?
Not detailed enough about CQC? Too much about CQC, not enough about all the pieces/parts needed to do a full HA/HomeTheaterAutomation system?

Thanks. Check over on the CQC site if you want to join the future CQC monthly webex sessions.

Vivek,

I think you did a great job. While you could never demonstrate all of the features in a few hours you did cover a lot of ground. I think that your monthly/biweekly meetings over time would educate fellow users tremendously. It would also be great for people to share what they have learned on their own so I plan on attending as many as I can (work, WAF etc).

This is one of those things that will be self taught to a degree by trial and error over time. I think its got a loot of potential and I nned to get something going in the next two weeks to get an acceptable WAF to spend even more money then I have already. Might need to ebay a few things to raise some funds.

Thanks again......

IVB,
Thanks for taking the time to do this for us. It says a lot for the product when people not on the payroll are so passionate about it! I do plan to pull the trigger on purchase now that I know more.
robolo

Wow, thanks IVB. I really got alot out of it. Seriously, thanks for taking the time to share.

Of course, during the meeting I had a two-year-old climbing on me, Clifford the big red dog blaring on the TV, at one point a christmas tree being pulled over, and relatives preparing to leave! eek... I wish there was a way to record it. Despite all this I did learn quite a lot -- lots of ideas for things I'd like to do in the future as well.

Back