Remote Water Well Monitoring

tonti

Hey Guys!
I have a water well house that this 300 to 400 ft away from the house. The power pole is located between the house and the water well. A single 4 conductor line with 2 phases goes out to the well. A few weeks ago i noticed that the pressure tank was water logged. I noticed this by accident because I happened to walk by the well and realized that the pump came on and went off in short intervals. I fixed the water log but I was wondering if you any suggestion on how I can monitor the pump and/or pressure with my Insteon network. 

1. I think I can measure amperage to see when the pump is on. Any suggestion which sensor to use?
  2. I could possible use a relay that gives an open/close signal to a Smartenit input relay?
  3. I could use a pressure switch, any ideas what to use?
Thank in advance for your suggestions!

tonti

BSR,
I just got the RIBXG in the mail and tried it on various loads (lamp, compressor, etc) by hooking it around the cable and securing it with the wire clamp. Then I hooked up the potentiometer and tried to measure OHM and or CONNECTIVITY (beeper). No change in state when I switched on the devices.

I was under the impression that this was open until the current of the main wire goes over the threshold (0.35A) and then it closes. 

Can you point me to a place where I can find info on this or suggest what I need to do different?

tonti

tonti said:
BSR,
I just got the RIBXG in the mail and tried it on various loads (lamp, compressor, etc) by hooking it around the cable and securing it with the wire clamp. Then I hooked up the potentiometer and tried to measure OHM and or CONNECTIVITY (beeper). No change in state when I switched on the devices.

I was under the impression that this was open until the current of the main wire goes over the threshold (0.35A) and then it closes. 

Can you point me to a place where I can find info on this or suggest what I need to do different?

tonti

In order for the RIBXG to sense current, only one wire of the cable should be run through the sensing gap.  If you placed it over the entire cable, that's why it isn't working.

Back