Replace Caddx with Elk

nickd

I understand that the Elk uses 1.0 ohm resistors which is difference from Caddx. I don't have access to the EOL resistors and it would be impossible to swap them out. Is there a way to still use the Elk with the 3.3 resistors that my Caddx panel uses?

The Elk panel requires 2.2K resistor as EOL if you were to use it. Using the RP software (free) you can program the panel as having EOL or NOT having EOL.

FYI, the Elk panel comes with 2.2K resistors and I believe a 680 ohm resistor for use with 2-wire smoke detectors (zone 16)

Where is your EOL resistor currently located, at the sensors or inside the Caddx panel? If your EOL resistor is currently located inside the Caddx panel then you can remove that and install 2.2K. If your EOL resistor is located at the sensors then it is a little bit more work but generally not a problem.

If this is a residential then I wouldn't bother with EOL but you can search the forum and understand why and why not, pros and cons.

tuantu said:
FYI, the Elk panel comes with 2.2K resistors and I believe a 680 ohm resistor for use with 2-wire smoke detectors (zone 16)
ELK now recommends 820 ohm resistors for the two wire smokes on zone 16.

nickd said:
I understand that the Elk uses 1.0 ohm resistors which is difference from Caddx. I don't have access to the EOL resistors and it would be impossible to swap them out. Is there a way to still use the Elk with the 3.3 resistors that my Caddx panel uses?
Hi Nick;

So let me know if I'm interpreting your question correctly.

You currently have a Caddx security system installed and have 3.3 K Ohm resistors installed at the sensors. As you stated it would be a pain to replace that resistor and you are looking for alternatives.

The Elk uses 2.2 K Ohm resistors for their end of line, which gives a nominal voltage to the zone of seven volts.

All you have to do is place a 6.6 K Ohm resistor across a zone's input at the Elk panel (i.e. between the zone input and ground) and this will work. What you are actually doing is placing a resistor in parallel with the 3.3 K Ohm in place to yield 2.2 K Ohm resistance total that the zone sees.

You can use two 3.3 K Ohm resistors in series to obtain the 6.6 K Ohm value (in case you have a lot of spare 3.3 K Ohm EOL resistors around).

I'll draw this up later on (after my morning coffee).

Regards and welcome to CocoonTech.

BSR

I quickly drew up a schematic of what I was talking about above. BUT, I did a quick test on my Elk using ONLY a 3.3 K Ohm resistor as the end of line and it worked. A 3.3 K Ohm yields 8.3 volts to the zone (instead of the 7 volts using 2.2 K Ohm resistors), but that was still in the range of the zone not being faulted.

I would just set the zones for EOL and use what you got and see what happens. You always have this alternative if that doesn't work for you.

Attachments

• eolfix.jpg
    eolfix.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 22
Fantastic!

Thank you for the response. Most of my resistors are burried in the walls and will not fit through the hole that the sensor sits in (mostly recessed contacts) for replacement.

There is a 2K ohm pull up resistor to 13.8 volts on the M1 control.

I set up the zone on the bench because I was curious and here is what I found:

The lower switching Threshold for circuit shorted is 3.9 volts, the upper switching Threshold for circuit open is 8.8 volts.

A 6.6K ohm resistor across the zone input terminals shows 7.1 volts when the door is secure. 10.4 volts when the door is not secure, which will cause an alarm. OK.

A 8.2K ohm resistor across the zone input terminals shows 7.4 volts when the door is secure. 10.9 volts when the door is not secure, which will cause an alarm. OK.

Either resistor values will work fine. 1/4 watt, 6.6K or 8.2K resistor wired across the zone input with a 3.3K ohm EOL resistor already in the circuit buried in the wall.

Happy M1ing! :p

Spanky said:
The lower switching Threshold for circuit shorted is 3.9 volts, the upper switching Threshold for circuit open is 8.8 volts.
So Nick, based on what Spanky posted I would NOT "just" use the 3.3K Ohm resistor that is already in place even though I posted above that it worked. The reason is that it yielded 8.3 volts to the panel, but the upper threshold as reported by Spanky is 8.8 volts. This value (8.3 volts) is to close to the alarming threshold.

Use one of the other methods suggested by Spanky and myself as posted above.

Just wanted to clarify this! :p

Hi Guys

Here in Oz i use the Genesis Alarm panel and you are able to tell Genesis which value of EOL you want to use for each zone (if any ) which is quite handy when you only want to chage over a panel ...Would be a nice feature for the Elk i would think.....Imure theres going to be lots of alarm users upgrtading to the Elk would make the changeover nice and smooth ;-)

HTH
Frank

Back