Replacing old honeywell dial thermostat on a Eden Pure Heater

bbsux

I have a Eden Pure heater that I have used for the last 3 years to heat my bedroom during the winter. It works good but the thermostat is the old honeywell (analog) dial type of thermostat. I assume its exactly the same as a house unit.

I'll describe how the unit works stock in case anyone doesn't know.

It has two quartz bulbs encased in copper heat chambers, which air is blown by and out the front of the unit. The unit's fan (which I've replaced once with a new one in the time I've had it, just a box muffin fan) stays on about a minute after the heat shuts off to cool down the copper chambers and bulbs, (I assume it has a control board that does that but I don't remember seeing it).

I'd like to be able to setup like 3 or four temp sensors around my room and average the results (or something) to allow the webcontrol to be used to control the eden pure.

I mean I could just use it to turn a Solid state relay on and off but that could be bad because of no fan cool down period.

Primarily I want to do this to be able to set the unit lower when I go to work, plus have a different schedule on the weekends.

What you're asking for is actually fairly trivial to code.

Something like:

Code:
add t1 t2 ram1
add ram1 t3 ram1
add ram1 t4 ram1
div ram1 4 ram1

would give you the average across temperatures 1-4

A simple comparison if its above or below setpoint (which could easily include looking at the day-of-week and time-of-day to adjust your setpoints), and output one or more outputs for the controls (timers for the fan, obviously) is also very simple. If you need more info, just ask.

I did find out that the thermostat this uses is a 120vac baseboard (bimetal non mercury type) thermostat. It looks like it would be as simple as wiring up a solid state relay in place of the thermostat (they actually seem to function as a temp controlled relay that simply interrupts the hot wire).

Back