Retro Security Wiring "Best Practices"

sic0048

I have a house that I need to retro fit for a security system. I'm pretty handy when it comes to running wires, but I wanted to get people opinion on "best practices".

I have a split level home with a crawl space under and attic above the main (middle) living portion of the house. The two story portion of the house obviously has attic access above. I've already wired the bottom story which is on a slab. We were remodeling that area last year and I took that opportunity to run wires under the new sub floor. So to make a long story short, I have attic access to all areas that need wires, and crawl space access to most of the area that needs wire as well.

So how do most people retrofit security wires - specifically window and door contacts? Do most drill down into the crawl space or do most drill up into the attic?

How do most people drill? I have several of those long flexible bits (30-36" long) that I've used in other HV wiring projects. I've always thought I would get another one with as small a bit as I could get - perhaps 1/8" and use that to drill into the crawlspace or attic. I've also thought that I would have to take off the interior trim for the windows and doors to gain access to the side of the window/door. I figure there is enough space where the window is installed between the studs (where they shim the window to make it level and plumb) to run my wires next to the window/door. I'd drill at the top or bottom of this small gap to run the wire through the wall to the attick/crawlspace. Is that what most other people do?

Where do most people put their door sensors? Near the top or bottom of the door? I guess it depends on which direction you are drilling, but what is the concensus?

What about window contacts? I have double hung windows where there are two windows (top and bottom) that slide up and down next to each other. Obviously for the best protection you would put a sensor on each part. My thought has been to look at those tiny "pill" reed switches and see if they would fit in the track of the window. That way I don't have to drill into the window frame except to run the actual wire. How are other people doing it?

OK, that is probably enough questions for one post. I've read lots of stuff like the Wiring How To, but most of the stuff is designed for new construction, or just tells you what wires to run, but not how to run them.

Thanks,

I have a house that I need to retro fit for a security system. I'm pretty handy when it comes to running wires, but I wanted to get people opinion on "best practices".

I have a split level home with a crawl space under and attic above the main (middle) living portion of the house. The two story portion of the house obviously has attic access above. I've already wired the bottom story which is on a slab. We were remodeling that area last year and I took that opportunity to run wires under the new sub floor. So to make a long story short, I have attic access to all areas that need wires, and crawl space access to most of the area that needs wire as well.

So how do most people retrofit security wires - specifically window and door contacts? Do most drill down into the crawl space or do most drill up into the attic?

How do most people drill? I have several of those long flexible bits (30-36" long) that I've used in other HV wiring projects. I've always thought I would get another one with as small a bit as I could get - perhaps 1/8" and use that to drill into the crawlspace or attic. I've also thought that I would have to take off the interior trim for the windows and doors to gain access to the side of the window/door. I figure there is enough space where the window is installed between the studs (where they shim the window to make it level and plumb) to run my wires next to the window/door. I'd drill at the top or bottom of this small gap to run the wire through the wall to the attick/crawlspace. Is that what most other people do?

Where do most people put their door sensors? Near the top or bottom of the door? I guess it depends on which direction you are drilling, but what is the concensus?

What about window contacts? I have double hung windows where there are two windows (top and bottom) that slide up and down next to each other. Obviously for the best protection you would put a sensor on each part. My thought has been to look at those tiny "pill" reed switches and see if they would fit in the track of the window. That way I don't have to drill into the window frame except to run the actual wire. How are other people doing it?

OK, that is probably enough questions for one post. I've read lots of stuff like the Wiring How To, but most of the stuff is designed for new construction, or just tells you what wires to run, but not how to run them.

Thanks,
I have installed LV in 3 houses so far that were "finished" with no really easy way to add new wire. Attic work is for young men IMHO and is to be avoided :)

I like doors to have a top sensor unless there is something else that makes it easier to do a plunger switch (or mag) low on the door. In my current house, I have all windows / doors hardwired and it wasn't too bad, with the luxury of a full basement.
For the windows, I have never attempted to do the switch "in the window", instead using small surface mount contacts.

HTH

Normally what you'll need to do is somewhat obvious based on where you are doing it.

You'll want a 3/8" drill bit as you'll need to your wire (~1/8") plus a glowrod (~1/8") to go through and you don't want a bunch of friction for no reason.

Windows you just won't like it, best you can do is drill up (prefered) / down on one side and scrap the joint betwen the window frame and wall then cover with caulk. At the top where there is nothing you can do install blinds or something. If you are going down you are pretty screwed as it will be visable.

I don't take trim off as in the past it's caused more harm then good, on your own house have at it though.

I am not satisfied with anything I tried for my double hung windows. Different story for the doors. I couldn't drill straight down because of the way the sill is sealed, so I took a tip from the Tane Jambstick: http://www.tanealarm.com/products/accessories/jambstick.asp

I used a larger diameter switch/magnet than I intented so I could drill at a 45* angle down to the basement. The jambstick, which I simulated with a dowel, locates the drill bit and prevents the 45* drill from enlarging the opening to the hole.

Back