[Review] Channel Vision 6.5" In Ceiling Speaker

Squintz

Channel Vision 6.5" In Ceiling Speakers
by Squintz

Speaker_Front.jpg
Speaker_Terminals.jpg
Grill.jpg

If you are looking for an inexpensive and easy way to add audio to your home then these speakers are the way to go. I picked up four (2 pair) of these awesome speakers from www.AutomatedOutlet.com at a small $107.50 per pair. Thanks to the great service that Martin provides I was able to order and start installing my new Channel Vision speakers in just 3 days. The box arrived via FedEx ground from Lewisville, TX to Maryland in superb condition.

What was in the box?
In the box came two tightly packed speakers, an instruction manual, small rubber vibration dampeners, and two templates to ensure that you cut the perfect size hole in your drywall. The instruction manual includes pictures and a detailed description about marking, cutting and installing the Channel Vision speakers. It also walks you through the essential task of connecting the speaker wires to the correct terminals.

Speaker Specifications:
  • Woofer: 6.5" Polypropylene cone with Butyl rubber surround and 18 oz. magnet
  • Tweeter: 1" pivoting Mylar dome
  • Sensitivity: 90dB 1W/1m
  • Power Recommendations: 20 to 120 watts (undistorted)
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 45Hz to 20 KHz ± 3dB
How do they sound?
Well I am no audiophile and definitely not an expert on sound but I will say this, I am more than happy with their sound quality. Let me explain my application first and then I will make a comparison. I am using the four speakers as the Left Surround, Right Surround, Left Rear and Right Rear of my 6.1 surround sound system. In the front left and right I have two Sony SR55 speakers which are part of a surround sound set. I got the Sony speakers from a co-worker. I have not yet installed a Sub Woofer. The reason I went with an in ceiling speaker instead of wall mounted ones was because I don’t have 4 walls surrounding my theater. Actually I do have four walls but they are not proportionally spaced around the theater. I did have one other option aside from the in ceiling speakers. I could have bought floor stands for my speakers but there was still a slight problem. I have kids…Need I say more???
So with the setup I have I will say this. My theater sounds like a real movie theater. I have a good enough ear to know that the quality of the speaker is not the best, but it is not bad either. If you can go to a Loews Cineplex and enjoy a movie, then you will be able to enjoy the sound from these speakers also. There is no distortion or crackling and they sound very crisp and solid.

Install_dad.jpg
Speaker_in3.jpg

More about the Speakers
Once you have your hole cut to size all you have to do is pop of the mesh cover from the front of the speaker. Make the two speaker wire connection. I use 14awg wire from homedepot. You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. Now that you connections are made insert the Speaker into the hole and tighten the 4 screw which clamp the speakers in securely. Then you can adjust the direction in which the tweeters are pointing. I’m guessing that the tweeters have about 5 degrees of movement in all directions, not very much movement at all. Once you have the speaker in place and the tweeter positioned you can put the mesh cover back on. Even though the speakers are 6.5â€, the entire unit spans 9â€

Conclusion
If you’re looking to add audio to your house in an inconspicuous way then get these speakers. They look and sound very nice for the price. If you want them at the lowest price and fast order from Martin at www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Other info:
Link to Speakers: http://automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=80
Also Available in 5.25â€, and 8â€

So you are probably asking why I never mentioned what receiver I was using or any other details about my setup. It’s because I was saving it for the end. I’m running a Denon 6.1 A/V Receiver which I picked up from tweeters for about $350. I am also running a Denon DVD player which I got for $130. No home theater with a 100†screen would be complete if it did not have an Xbox. My PC is feeding Optical Audio and Composite video. All of video inputs are being used by my Infocus X1 projector which I got from dell.com for $700(Special). For more info about my theater project visit "My Theater Project": http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=470

Back