[Review] Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000

Squintz

Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
by Squintz

557145campackage.jpg
198677camcontents.jpg
926155camprofile.jpg

If you have ever bought a cheap USB web cam than you can probably relate to the frustration that I have faced for the last few years. I have bought 2 WebCams in the pass year and none of them were even worth a dollar in my opinion. Those cams were the (Logitech ClickSmart 310) and (Logitech QuickCam Express).

At last a cam that works as expected and it only cost $55 on eBay. The Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 sells in retail stored for $99. But a quick search on www.ebay.com and you can find these cams as low as $50 each. Right now you’re probably wondering why they are half the price on e-bay. The answer is simple... It doesn't come in a fancy box. The package that it is shipped in is a simple plastic bag. In the bag are the Stand, Camera, Lens Cam, User Manual, and Logitech Software Suite.

Who did you buy from?
I bought mine though e-bay from reforger but you can contact reforger directly for this cam by visiting http://reforger.com/qc4k_details.html

What can it do?
  • Add video to your favorite instant messenger: Yahoo!® Messenger, AOL Instant MessengerSM (AIM), MSN® Messenger
  • Shoot 1.3 megapixel photos and high-quality videos
  • Edit movies and photos with studio-quality software
  • Make live video calls
  • Email video and photos easily
  • Get closer with a digital zoom
  • Conduct online video conferences and calls using Windows® Messenger or Microsoft® NetMeeting
  • Speak your mind with the built-in microphone
  • Add video to your eBay® auctions with SpotLifeâ„¢ VideoSnap
  • Create fun animated films
  • Create web albums, broadcast live video and audio, and set up a web cam
Product Specifications
  • Video capture: Up to 640 x 480 pixels (VGA CCD)
  • Still image capture: Up to 1280 x 960 pixels, 1.3 megapixels
  • Frame rate: Up to 30 frames per second (with recommended system)
The big problem that I have always had with previous cameras is not being able to get the lighting bright enough to display a clear image without washing out the color of the image. "Pictures are worth a thousand words" so that’s why I used the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 to take all the images featured in this review including the images of the camera its self. But for your enjoyment here are three more.

649219son.jpg
237341room.jpg
163395me.jpg

Keep in mind that all of these pictures were taken with my recessed basement lights dimmed to 50% with my z-wave switches and HomeSeer. The bulbs I am using are 60watt Philip's soft white flood bulbs and the closest one to the camera was more than 6 feet away. Since they are recessed bulbs they focus most of the light straight down and not towards the cam.

Included Software
  • FREE Logitech® IM Video Companionâ„¢
  • Live video-enabled Yahoo! Messenger
  • One-click video e-mail software
  • Video broadcasting software
  • Web album creator software
  • Web camera software
  • Motion detection software
  • Animation software
Minimum System Requirements (PC)
  • Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me, Windows® XP
  • Pentium® II 400, Celeronâ„¢, AMD Athlon® processor, or higher (Pentium III 500, Celeronâ„¢, AMD Athlon® processor recommended).
  • 64 MB RAM (or minimum OS requirement whichever is higher).
  • 200 MB free hard drive space
  • CD-ROM drive
  • 16-bit color display adapter
  • Windows®-compatible sound card and speakers (full duplex sound card recommended)
If you have any more questions about the cam feel free to ask me and I will include my answers(if I have one) in future edits of this review

I don't see any images either. It looks like you might have exceeded your bandwidth at the host site.

I assume this is a USB cam? If so, then why don't the system requirements include a USB port? ;)

Going to that site directly (their homepage), the response is very slow. Maybe it's just timing out.

Back