RG6 quadshield coaxial cable recommendation

Steve said:
You want solid copper center conductor, not copper clad steel.
Oh no, thanks for the heads up :lol:

What does the copper clad look like? The ebay picture is deceiving!

I don't see someone selling now at ebay with solid center. I might just have to buy it at Menard's but more expensive.

It's just like it says, copper clad steel, meaning a steel conductor with a thin copper coating or 'cladding'. It's cheaper and doesn't conduct as well. Picture won't show it unless it is a cross section. There are several posts about this floating around and I think the wiring guide mentions it as well. There are also better specs for the shielding but not as critical as the conductor.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
I don't see someone selling now at ebay with solid center. I might just have to buy it at Menard's but more expensive.
You get what you pay for :lol:

Steve said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
You get what you pay for :lol:
Ah, the core is not pure copper then. So by using our own naked eyes, can we distinguish the two?

The only place that I could get solid core quad shield RG6 was smarthome.com and automatedoutlet.com. I even had a company claim it was solid copper core, and come to find out it was copper clad steel.

To answer you question, YES you can tell a difference with the naked eye. If you cut the end off of the solid core, all you see is copper. If you cut the end off of the copper clad steel, you see steel in the center wrapped in a thin outershell of copper.

I went through a lot trying to get the solid core, so make sure you research carefully before buying. LIke I said, if you get the stuff from smarthome.com or automatedoutlet.com you are fine.

http://www.smarthome.com/8528A.HTML

Just checked, and smarthome has it on sale. YOUR IN LUCK!

Of course, Automatedoutlet will match that price I am sure, and their shipping is less expensive.

Automated Outlet never did any price match for me. Anyways, it doesn't mean that I won't buy from them. I went to AO's site again and was wondering where the cables are.

I went to Menards today to look at the 500' RG6 quad shield that they are selling. I looked at the core and saw that inner is like silvery and around it is a thin covering of copper . I think this is clad copper. Right guys? Glad I didn't buy it.

I always take a small magnet with me when I go wire shopping and test the center conductor to be sure. I bet the magnet would have stuck like glue to the wire at Menards!

I purchased mine from Beach Audio. I got the Steren version and it has the solid copper core. The link is: rg6. I have been installing it the last few days and it does have the solid copper core.

They also have cheap shipping. I got 2000' of the RG6, 1000' of 14/4, and 1000' of 14/2 and it was only $5.

That really sounds like an advertisement, sorry. I do not know anything about them, just that the wire got here ok and seems fine.

ctwilliams said:
I purchased mine from Beach Audio. I got the Steren version and it has the solid copper core. The link is: rg6. I have been installing it the last few days and it does have the solid copper core.

They also have cheap shipping. I got 2000' of the RG6, 1000' of 14/4, and 1000' of 14/2 and it was only $5.

That really sounds like an advertisement, sorry. I do not know anything about them, just that the wire got here ok and seems fine.
Looks like a good source for wire. I'm going to have to browse through there and see if I need anything!

I gett he Belden 1829BC from Markertek. Best cable around. Not QS, but you really don't need QS with this cable. The 1829A is the CCS stuff.

Solidsignal also has solid copper as well.

Back