Rule Question on M1

Work2Play said:
I think helpful reminders are nice but criticizing peoples' decisions isn't what this is all about. Today, I have toddlers so I watch the door all the way down. If they're all 10+ (just for example) I'm not going to babysit the door any more... Should I tragically lose one to a door accident, I'll chalk it up to Darwinism. As for handling of the doors, a good method with the Elk is to create the garage as its own zone and handle the Arming and Disarming via rules that way you can arm the main zone while its open, run rules, make your own custom delays, etc.

Can you elaborate on a smart way to handle the GD?

If I set the door sensor as an alarm zone, I can utilize it with the entry/exit delay 2. However, I wouldn't be able to arm the system when the door is opened. If I were to start parking in the garage, I'd obviously have to leave before the door is closed.

If I set it as a non-alarm zone (so that the system can be armed while the door is opened), then I won't get a proper entry delay when the door is opened.

Ideally, what I'd like is for the system to be armed (any mode) and after X seconds the door is checked to be secured (so that I'd have time to exit via the garage if desired). If the door is unsecured, it's closed. When the system is armed, and the door is opened, the entry delay [2] begins.

I do see that the rules allow for arm/disarm. My issue with disarm, is that if someone were to force the GD open, I don't want the system to automatically disarm - I'd want the entry delay [2], so that I'd have to validate the entry. I don't see any [THEN] rules that trigger the entry/exit delays.

You can arm the system with the door open, you just enter your code. 

I have my GD as Entry/Exit2, Force Armable, Bypassable.   I have the rule to auto close when the system becomes armed in any mode, and I have a rule to open it if I arm away from the garage keypad, but the rules are just convenience.

If I want to arm the system with the door open, I enter my code, it arms.  Then I leave and close the garage and because it is FA it come back as unbypassed when I close it.  (But it also automatically closes when the arming timer expires due to the rule).

I wouldn't overthink it too much.  Try setting it up as Entry/Exit2 with FA and see how it works for you then build some rules on top of it as you find yourself repeating actions...

wuench said:

I have my GD as Entry/Exit2, Force Armable, Bypassable.   I have the rule to auto close when the system becomes armed in any mode, and I have a rule to open it if I arm away from the garage keypad, but the rules are just convenience.

If I want to arm the system with the door open, I enter my code, it arms.  Then I leave and close the garage and because it is FA it come back as unbypassed when I close it.  (But it also automatically closes when the arming timer expires due to the rule).

I wouldn't overthink it too much.  Try setting it up as Entry/Exit2 with FA and see how it works for you then build some rules on top of it as you find yourself repeating actions...

Thanks for the input. I hadn't read much about the FA option. I will check that out. It sounds like you've implemented what I'm looking for.

gatchel said:

So the Elk can visually determine whether or not there is a car, a small kid, etc. in the way?

A friendly reminder would be for you to read your operators manual that came with your GDO.

Here is an example from my Liftmaster 3800:

Check out page 23 - IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS

http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogResourcesV3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/114A3489.pdf

If you rely on the safety sensors or closing pressure sensor you might be asking for trouble.

(Edited to be more friendly and less Philadelphia attitude-like. B)
I appreciate the attempt at being helpful. I put up my own garage door opener - a Chamberlain Belt Drive - I'm familiar with how a garage door works. The fact that I'm on this board as a DIY'er, have installed my own ELK system (with garage door control), might indicate that I'm smart enough (all by myself) to know what my liabilities are and what levels of personal risk I'm willing to accept. Thanks (and that goes for you too Elvisimprsntr).

BraveSirRobbin said:
I like the approach weunch mentioned above. B)

As far as the 'helpfulness' of safety/code/whatever reminders, this is a DIY site above all else.  Friendly reminders are of course warranted and welcomed, but that's all the further they should go. :rockon:

Before I had my Elk I had a Caddx NX8e and an Ocelot (which I still just can't seem to part with).  The Ocelot is great with timers and I had a timer start whenever the system was armed in Exit mode.  When that timer expired I checked to still make sure the system was armed in exit mode, then chirped the siren in the garage and flashed the garage lights twice, then pulsed a relay that was connected to a GDO and closed the garage.

Since I also had HomeSeer looking at these devices I would then check to see if the garage door did indeed close after a few seconds; and, if not, send me an email.

When the system was armed in stay mode, I checked to see if the garage door was opened; then closed it if it was not.

My door also had the safety sensors at the bottom.  I can also monitor the actual 'position' of my garage door open (accurate to under two inches) with my DIY sensor (that I did a How-to on)! ;)

I put an Elk system in my buddy's house, and they had two double car garage doors that they were always leaving open (unwanted) during the day and night times.  I installed a small LED dual color (red/green) in a switch plate that also controlled their voice announcements, and it would light red if any garage door was opened and green if the two were closed (logic and relay outputs all done via the Elk).  There are pics and a post about this on this forum as well.

One of these plates was mounted in the Master bedroom and another in their family room.  They LOVED it and wanted that in lieu of any type of automated control.
I actually thought about doing a variation of the red/green LED indicator in the garage next to the door on the way out, so once we got to the garage we'd know if the alarm was armed or not. Red for armed, green for disarmed. My wife is constantly leaving the house and forgetting to arm the ELK on the way out.

wuench said:

I'll be implementing opening on arm/away tomorrow, great suggestion!

Back