Rule

mjmatt

I have an existing ELK MK1 system and I need help writing a rule for the doors/windows to trigger the alarm to comply with the Florida pool code. The code states:

Chapter 41‚ Section R4101‚ (17)(1)(9)
R4101.17.1.9

Where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier, one of the following shall apply:

1. All doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool shall be equipped with an exit alarm complying with UL 2017 that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet (3048 mm). The exit alarm shall produce a continuous audible warning when the door and its screen are opened. The alarm shall sound immediately after the door is opened and be capable of being heard throughout the house during normal household activities. The alarm shall be equipped with a manual means to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening. Such deactivation shall last no more than 15 seconds. The deactivation switch shall be located at least 54 inches (1372 mm) above the threshold of the door. Separate alarms are not required for each door or window if sensors wired to a central alarm sound when contact is broken at any opening.

I have figured out the rule to do the immediate alarm upon opening the door/window but I am having trouble on how to write a rule to temporarily deactivate for no longer than 15 seconds when opening is still not secure. Additionally, is there a wall keyfob deactivation or other device besides the main M1KP2 keypad that can be mounted next to the door to deactivate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Mike M

Do you have young children you are worried about going into the pool? If so, a pool fence is a much better and safer alternative and I believe overrides the door/window code.

Mike,

IMHO, and off the top of my head so I dont know if it will all work.... First I'd add rules that when the window(s) in question are opened, set a virtual output (say output 200) on (this will be your flag for any of the windows in question have been opened), second monitor that virtual output with another rule that will trigger your alarm(if virtual output 200 is on then X), I would then add a basic button (doorbell switch or something similar) and wire it into a zone, when this zone is violated you could then set virtual output 201 on for 15 seconds, and turn virtual output 200 off when output 201 is turned off (after the 15 seconds) then turn output 200 back on which will re-trigger your alarm condition

or follow steves suggestion about a fence

Mike,

IMHO, and off the top of my head so I dont know if it will all work.... First I'd add rules that when the window(s) in question are opened, set a virtual output (say output 200) on (this will be your flag for any of the windows in question have been opened), second monitor that virtual output with another rule that will trigger your alarm(if virtual output 200 is on then X), I would then add a basic button (doorbell switch or something similar) and wire it into a zone, when this zone is violated you could then set virtual output 201 on for 15 seconds, and turn virtual output 200 off when output 201 is turned off (after the 15 seconds) then turn output 200 back on which will re-trigger your alarm condition

or follow steves suggestion about a fence
Thanks for the suggestion, but a barrier system will not work for now with a spa on the deck and a pool further away. I like your suggestion but how would it work since I have 7 doors/windows to do this to using wireless sensors/GEcadx wireless and a single door bell. Add another zone for the house maybe?

We have an indoor pool and had a very similar requirement.

Here's what we did - we mounted a doorbell wired as a zone into the elk system at the appropriate spot to meet the code.

We wrote some simple rules using outputs as timers to sound a piezo alarm on output 5 that was mounted above the door - we also announced "Pool door opened" whenver the door was opened.

The inspector was really reasonable and thought what we had would meet the requirements. And he pointed out that most people immediately disable these systems after the fact, but because we had them on the house security system, we'd be more likely to keep something in place.

Thanks for the suggestion, but a barrier system will not work for now with a spa on the deck and a pool further away. I like your suggestion but how would it work since I have 7 doors/windows to do this to using wireless sensors/GEcadx wireless and a single door bell. Add another zone for the house maybe?

Well the suggestion of a (basic unlighted) doorbell switch was just be an input for your bypass, and not necessarily a real door bell.. are you limited to wireless? you may have to make a wireless switch to mount on the wall and use as your 15 sec bypass, using a wireless sensor(with leads) and a push button ex. door bell button... with 7 windows it is not as easy as I originally said but can still be accomplished with something like this.... I hope others come back with more ideas, as I sometimes have my own programming style that over complicates it.

you would need one rule for each window/door input which goes something like this...
Code:
WHENEVER Bedroom Front  (Zn X) BECOMES NOT SECURE	' choose your window/door you are triggering off (you need one rule for each window/door)
	  AND Home (Area X) ARM STATE = DISARMED				' assumption is that you dont want to use this if you are armed because it would trip the burg alarm  anyways 
	  AND Output 201 STATE IS OFF									  ' "virtual output" for checking the button was not presses within 15 seconds
			THEN TURN Output 001 (Out 1) ON						  ' whichever output or audio you are using for your "alarm"

Code:
WHENEVER pool button (Zn X) BECOMES NOT SECURE
			THEN TURN Output 001 (Out 1) OFF
			THEN TURN Output 201 ON FOR 15 SECS

You'd also need 7 of the following rules one for each door/window
Code:
WHENEVER  Output 201 STATE IS TURNED OFF
	  AND Bedroom Front  (Zn X) IS NOT SECURE				'this line will change in the 7 rules one for each window
			THEN TURN Output 001 (Out 1) ON

and once you close the windows/door you need to press the button to turn off the alarm

Back