Security Company Install- Windows Leak

blondie

Hello,
We had a security company install our security system with window contacts on each window and some motion detectors and a glassbreak. They drilled holes in the bottom sills of our new windows (new construction) and now we have at least one leak. I also just found out they voided our window warranty.
The tech came over with my husband and they put silicone around the little "shoulders" of the contacts, but I do not think the tech thinks it's a permanent fix. oI don't know what to do. I am thinking of asking them to replace our new windows and use a different contact.
Some folks I have spoken with say the type of contact, which is a little pin thing that sticks up, is outdated and prone to problems, and that the contacts should have been put in the side of the window, nit the sill where snow can build up and pounding rain can be a problem.
Any ideas of how I should deal with the company?
Thank you!

IMHO, any security company that voids the warranty of your brand new windows without your express written consent should be help accountable, and to me that means the security company should replace the windows and use non-warranty-voiding sensors. That may be easier said than done on some windows (and I don't claim to be a pro installer or any sort of window expert), but one leak would make me concerned about the rest. And while it is a fresh install is the right time to nicely request a proper resolution and give them the opportunity to resolve their mistake.

I saw your pics in the chat. Nice house and welcome to CT!

A agree with Wayne, NOW is the time to try to get a resolution with the company. Put it all in writing too, dont assume a tech will convey all your concerns to the manager/owner as well as you might want to.

A agree with Wayne, NOW is the time to try to get a resolution with the company. Put it all in writing too, dont assume a tech will convey all your concerns to the manager/owner as well as you might want to.

+1, owner is really the way to go. This is a pretty big mistake!

Here are a couple of pics of the plunger things they installed.

Attachments

• plunger1.jpg
    plunger1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4
Not only does it leak but it looks pretty sloppy too.

I agree with others, you need to have those windows replaced at their expense. You paid for windows that don't leak with warranties and you have leaky windows without warranty. I hope you don't need a lawyer. Give them a few weeks to make things right and if they fail, you need to contact someone who can force their hand.

The switch looks like white version of the GRI PB-2020. Picture here.

As a professional, I would not have used that particular switch. It appears sloppy to me. The contact is designed to have a screw in it for adjustability. But, also, I would not have drilled the sill. In the old days, when the windows were made of wood, drilling the sill was common practice, but not anymore with vinyl windows. We NEVER drill anything on a vinyl window, without permission. We do drill the window casing inside the window and use surface-mount contacts.

Occasionally, we get a customer who does want the contacts hidden in the sill, and we will drill the sill but only after explaining the warranty void issue, but this is RARE.

That is nasty work!

I go along with Sandpiper, I would never use that switch, and I would never drill the sill. Vinyl windows take a careful tech who takes pride in their work. This kind of work is embarrassing to the industry. I doubt that it is going to be easy to get the security company to make this right but it is important to start working on it. I'd start with the owner of the security company and then, if the security company is a sub contractor hired by your builder I'd talk to him.

Check with your state to see what the license requirements for low voltage installers are. In MN we have to be licensed with insurance and a bond. If the security company and the builder aren't cooperative, maybe you can file a complaint with the state and make a claim against their insurance or bond.

Good luck!

It looks like someone who reads the instructions sheet of a product and tries to install it not knowing how to really do it. The switches can be used with vinyl windows but really are intended for sliders not double hung. For a slider putting one on each end of the window frame for each slider would work.

In my opinion to put one in the bottom sill of a double hung is just a lack of experience. To try and caulk it is a cheap cover up of a mistake. I personally use mini surface mount contacts and hide the wiring until it enters the wall. Not easy for a top of a double hung but doable.

If there are no pets to worry about a few well placed motion detectors are usually cheaper in the long run to install and not affect the windows. Not exactly the same level of protection but it depends on what level of protection is desired.

Nothing beats experience and a company that stands behind its work. Hopefully the company will own up and make this right. Its an expensive mistake and the technician may lose his or her job over it but the homeowner should not be the one stuck with this headache.

Can the windows be salvaged? Possibly but these are brand new windows in new construction. If the walls are sheetrocked it will be hard to mount contacts elsewhere. The sills can be patched, but, they are brand new and its just not right. If the owner agrees to a repair of the windows the alarm install and first few years of service should be free (in my opinion), however, if I was the homeowner I would insist on new windows and all cosmetic repairs needed to make this right.

If the windows are replaced they should be donated to a charity that refurbishes homes etc where they can be repaired and the cosmetic flaw accepted because they are free.

I am curious, how many windows are you talking about? Because if I came home to some work like that I would definitely loose my cool especially if they voided the warranty on every window they touched.

Hopefully the company you used was bonded and insured and you didn't ok the drilling of the sills.

I am soooo glad that I had nothing to do with those pictures. My wife would kill me. Ignoring the leak aspect and the silliness of an upright plunger for the moment, they look like crap and will always be a pain to clean around.

Window count:
Seven single windows and four double windows and a custom made triple casement.
Thank you all for the advice. I meet with security rep @ 10:30 this morning.

Back